Water-elm

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one of this year's "crop" of collected specimens. Nice natural shari, and I thought it had a penjing sort-of look to it, so I'm going in that direction. The pot is a vintage Richard Robertson hobnail I bought almost 20 years ago.

Comments are welcome, of course.

Zach

Attachments

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would reduce it down to the first branch sticking out on the left to make for a better taper and more dramatic compisition.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would reduce it down to the first branch sticking out on the left to make for a better taper and more dramatic compisition.
I did consider doing that, Seth, but I'm trying to resist forcing the tree into another "same old" design. I've got a lot of others that taper just right and fit the standard mold, so want to try something different with this one.

Thanks for the input.

I forgot to note that the trunk is 3" and the tree about 22" tall from the rim of the pot.

Zach

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Zach your Height to width ratio isn't too bad a little more than 6 to 1 but thats just a guide line isn't it. Get a bit more ramification on this and it will look much better. This one is a Hawthorn.

Attachments

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zach your Height to width ratio isn't too bad a little more than 6 to 1 but thats just a guide line isn't it. Get a bit more ramification on this and it will look much better. This one is a Hawthorn.
I really like your hawthorn, Bill. Not your "normal" sort of tree. Keep us posted as it develops. I'm planning to collect some hawthorns this coming January.

Zach

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RobertB Collected Chinese Elm and Water Elm. Collecting & importing 17
Dav4 Carved Water Elm Other Deciduous 12
J Water Elm Island Forests, saikei 21
Zach Smith Big Water-Elm Elms 2
Eric Group Another BIG Water Elm General Discussion 20