Water hose review thread

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought that a general thread on the subject of water hoses alone would be helpful. Couldn’t find anything when I looked.

Sharing tips and tricks people use to make using their hose easier etc.

For me I station my hose in the middle of my watering area to make it easier to not have to drag a hose around. But my problem primarily is the hose itself. They never last long. I’m aware that my main problem is water pressure in the hose because I usually only turn it off at the watering wand around this time through summer to make spot watering easier. So I am looking for a hose that can hold the water pressure in the line without destroying the hose. The last one was a flex rite heavy duty hose that stated 400 psi bursting pressure. It basically swelled up and stretched so much once it is off it contracts and then works horribly.

The stainless steel hoses look nice due to their resistance to kinking. There are a variety available.

I’m curious if anyone knows of a good watering hose that would last in my situation?

Also would be cool to hear generally other situations and stories. Also water hoses that work and don’t work well.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I thought that a general thread on the subject of water hoses alone would be helpful. Couldn’t find anything when I looked.

Sharing tips and tricks people use to make using their hose easier etc.

For me I station my hose in the middle of my watering area to make it easier to not have to drag a hose around. But my problem primarily is the hose itself. They never last long. I’m aware that my main problem is water pressure in the hose because I usually only turn it off at the watering wand around this time through summer to make spot watering easier. So I am looking for a hose that can hold the water pressure in the line without destroying the hose. The last one was a flex rite heavy duty hose that stated 400 psi bursting pressure. It basically swelled up and stretched so much once it is off it contracts and then works horribly.

The stainless steel hoses look nice due to their resistance to kinking. There are a variety available.

I’m curious if anyone knows of a good watering hose that would last in my situation?

Also would be cool to hear generally other situations and stories. Also water hoses that work and don’t work well.
I usually get the hoses rated for hot water such as Element MAXLite Hot Water Rubber Hose. They have a much higher pressure rating and the heat from the sun cannot deform the hose and cause problems.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually get the hoses rated for hot water such as Element MAXLite Hot Water Rubber Hose. They have a much higher pressure rating and the heat from the sun cannot deform the hose and cause problems.
EE0F3E61-08AD-4541-86AC-E58EF2FE18E9.jpeg
For the same price as most standard hoses it seems to be more durable and better from reading the specs.

Do you know if it can hold up to constant water pressure from the house? Looks like a good hose. Not sure if you turn the water off after each watering.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dramm's hoses might work for you. They are all rubber and are hot water rated up to 160 degrees F with a 500 psi bursting pressure. I have switched to them entirely around the house, extremely overkill for my use, but it's what I see at farms and nurseries.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
View attachment 490148
For the same price as most standard hoses it seems to be more durable and better from reading the specs.

Do you know if it can hold up to constant water pressure from the house? Looks like a good hose. Not sure if you turn the water off after each watering.
My hoses are constantly on.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Dramm's hoses might work for you. They are all rubber and are hot water rated up to 160 degrees F with a 500 psi bursting pressure. I have switched to them entirely around the house, extremely overkill for my use, but it's what I see at farms and nurseries.

Looks good. Where did you buy it? Directly from Dramm?

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not a hose recommendation but something that worked for my set up is after having a couple of mid grade garden hoses I ran 50' from a house hose bib to my benches burst under constant house water pressure, I moved my drip irrigation pressure reducer from at the bench to being attached directly at the hose bib. Only having 25-30# of pressure back there wont blast algae off my pavers but on the positive side, no more hose swell/burst issues either... I think those pressure reducers are about $20-$30. I now leave the hose turned on at the bib 24/7.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I appreciate all the input. This has been helpful. I think it will help others in weeding out the inferior water hoses and great options at different prices.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a hose recommendation but something that worked for my set up is after having a couple of mid grade garden hoses I ran 50' from a house hose bib to my benches burst under constant house water pressure, I moved my drip irrigation pressure reducer from at the bench to being attached directly at the hose bib. Only having 25-30# of pressure back there wont blast algae off my pavers but on the positive side, no more hose swell/burst issues either... I think those pressure reducers are about $20-$30. I now leave the hose turned on at the bib 24/7.
That is a great solution to the problem. I always thought since the water pressure ratings on these hoses were so much higher then the psi coming into the house it should be fine. Definitely not true.

I’ll look into the water pressure reducers. Do you have any suggestions on a model?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That is a great solution to the problem. I always thought since the water pressure ratings on these hoses were so much higher then the psi coming into the house it should be fine. Definitely not true.

I’ll look into the water pressure reducers. Do you have any suggestions on a model?
The issue I ran into often at the farm was the combination of temperature of the hose and pressure. I used to have hoses that ran a few hundred feet so I kept the pressure on all the way to the end. I didn't want to run back to the valve each time. Hot water rubber hose always worked for me. BTW the water at my farm was 80 psig from the pump. I had to keep it that high because of the hose length. My rubber hoses lasted quite a few years or at least until I ran my bush hog over them :D

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like this hose -

Garden Flexeel 50-foot, 3/8" Slender-Profile Polyurethane Garden Hose with 3/4" Brass Hose Fittings, Green - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKYGFNU?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_DY201K76KZH5PATX87D0_1

It is super easy to coil/move around, only downside is it’s a bit pricey
Thanks for sharing! A thing to consider is how pricey, aggravating, and time consuming it is replacing hoses all the time as well.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The issue I ran into often at the farm was the combination of temperature of the hose and pressure. I used to have hoses that ran a few hundred feet so I kept the pressure on all the way to the end. I didn't want to run back to the valve each time. Hot water rubber hose always worked for me. BTW the water at my farm was 80 psig from the pump. I had to keep it that high because of the hose length. My rubber hoses lasted quite a few years or at least until I ran my bush hog over them :D
I get that. Now that I am on to buying my 4th hose I am finally questioning what the hell Im doing wrong haha. Thanks for your input.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Stanley Fatmax hoses have worked well for me. I don't leave them pressurized on purpose, but often forget to turn off the supply and none have burst yet. Also, these hoses kink much less than typical big box store hoses do.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just use hoses I buy from Home Depot or Lowes. I use a timer that turns off the pressure and I turn it off when I hand water.

I disconnect them before winter and leave them on their hangers in the yard.

I think my current crop of hoses is 3 or 4 years old.

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Top Bottom