Water how often?

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello all. I keep my trees in my unheated garage during the winter. They seem to like it there. Is there a general rule for watering during the winter? Mainly how often? I have mixture of evergreen and deciduous trees. Any advice appreciated. ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a dozen or so of mine in my garage.
I just check them every couple days.
Water when they look dry on top.
Sometimes I go back through a while after and drain some of the pots that hold a lot of water.

If you're unsure about whether or not the soil is dry, try using a bamboo skewer or chopstick stuck down in the soil, you can pull it out and see if the stick is damp or dry.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water about once a week. Unless pots are froze. If frozen...if we have snow I apply that to the pot. If not...I come back later before the week is up...and recheck. But typically once a week. I check on them about twice a week. Watering accordingly.

Biggest factor...warm winter days...and it getting to warm. My windows and door have been open more than not this late fall/winter to allow heat out.

I am enjoying less waterings I must admit. I feel as if I am hibernating when it comes to tending the trees.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Let them freeze solid and stay that way. I always mulched mine with wood chips on the floor and would place snow, when available, on the mulch. I never had to water in January or February, and usually not until late March.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I pile the snow on them if we have any, this will slowly water them over time. If there is no snow, I check to see if the surface is dry, then I water. I don't need to do it more than every 2-3 weeks.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Let them freeze solid and stay that way. I always mulched mine with wood chips on the floor and would place snow, when available, on the mulch. I never had to water in January or February, and usually not until late March.
Hey Dave!
Just want to get your point of view on this...
I understand that many trees do well staying frozen over winter.
But isn't the whole thing about overwintering to keep the roots from experiencing a freeze, and having ice crystals piercing and cutting the roots??
Is this notion only true for "tender" trees?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most species can deal with frooze roots, up to few degrees of frost, as long as the above-ground parts do not get exposed to wind & sun. Only deep minus temperatures are a killer. My trees get frozen solid a few times each winter, but typically to no more than say 5-10 degrees of frost. If temperatures are expected to go lower for a serious amount fof time (longer than an occasional drop overnight) I try to give them some protection.

http://www.growingbonsai.net/what-kills-bonsai-in-winter/ ?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Most species can deal with frooze roots, up to few degrees of frost, as long as the above-ground parts do not get exposed to wind & sun. Only deep minus temperatures are a killer. My trees get frozen solid a few times each winter, but typically to no more than say 5-10 degrees of frost. If temperatures are expected to go lower for a serious amount fof time (longer than an occasional drop overnight) I try to give them some protection.

http://www.growingbonsai.net/what-kills-bonsai-in-winter/ ?
I have a few out there that seem not to care...
But I allowed all of them to freeze on our first cold night this year....and let's just say I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some sign of life in my crape myrtle and satsuki right now :mad::oops:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Dave!
Just want to get your point of view on this...
I understand that many trees do well staying frozen over winter.
But isn't the whole thing about overwintering to keep the roots from experiencing a freeze, and having ice crystals piercing and cutting the roots??
Is this notion only true for "tender" trees?
Temperate, cold hardy trees don't mind being in frozen soil at all. At 25 F, let's say, the water in the soil is frozen, but the water within the roots isn't. The goal is to keep the water within the roots from freezing. Some great articles can be found here...https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm, and here...https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/frzekill.htm

Top Bottom