Water jasmine and blue jay.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Awesome photo!
Any experience you can share either on the water jasmine or teaching a blue jay to fly?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So cute! The tree too! I want a water jasmine now too! Dammit. You fellow nuts have to stop introducing me to new trees!
Got mine from Wigert's, very reasonably priced. ;)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I would love to go there, but that would be quite the drive for me......:(
What’s a thousand miles! You can do it! Road trip! Be like college days! Just get your card gas up and hit the road! Come back broke with a car full of tree, I mean trees. Lol

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So cute! The tree too! I want a water jasmine now too! Dammit. You fellow nuts have to stop introducing me to new trees!

How far are you from Sarasota bro? There's a massive Vietnamese nursery that has thousands of water jasmine and desmodium and other tropical bonsai at decent prices. www.maivangflorida.com I've ordered from him many times but from I heard, very little of his stuff is online.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I’ve asked him for an appointment 5 times already. Same with Lou down in Englewood. Both are always elsewhere. Not sure who waters their trees since everytime I try to visit they’re out and about. Lou constantly advertises on FB but I can’t get an opportunity to see any trees. Mai Vang and Lou are both less than an hour about the same as Wigart’s.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Awesome photo!
Any experience you can share either on the water jasmine or teaching a blue jay to fly?

I find water jasmine to be extremely easy in the summer, just full sun and lots of water and you will get bloom all summer long. Winter time just put it near a sunny window inside the house, they drop leaves a lot in the winter but come spring and summer they grow very vigorous. The blue jay flew away couple days after that picture lol.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I’ve asked him for an appointment 5 times already. Same with Lou down in Englewood. Both are always elsewhere. Not sure who waters their trees since everytime I try to visit they’re out and about. Lou constantly advertises on FB but I can’t get an opportunity to see any trees. Mai Vang and Lou are both less than an hour about the same as Wigart’s.

Wow..I know they sell their trees on the spot too so Im sure there's always people there, If I were you would just show up next time I'm anywhere near there. I am not familiar with the Lou guy, does he have a website ? Thanks.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Wow..I know they sell their trees on the spot too so Im sure there's always people there, If I were you would just show up next time I'm anywhere near there. I am not familiar with the Lou guy, does he have a website ? Thanks.
Lousbonsai.com I think it was. Google Lou’s Bonsai Englewood Florida and he’ll pop up. Can’t even get him to commit to a day at all after 5 calls. Mai Vang is keeping gates closed and operating by appointment only. But after 2 times driving there for appointments and him being gone I started calling before I left then stopped trying at 5 as well. Started going to Wigart’s and haven’t looked back. Probably have 20 hours there and I know I haven’t seen every tree even skimmed over every tree. Probably not every species there! Regardless of where I get it is there anything I should look for in a tree? If I look for girth do I look for one to chop Because they do back bud or look for a completed trunk at least because they don’t back bud?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is only my 2nd water jasmine so I don't really have much experience yet. They do back bud easily and aggressively, with you being in Florida you shouldn't have any problem at all. I would just go with the big trunk that I like and start from there. Maivang have some decent water jasmine listed online for $199 and that's includes shipping.

Top Bottom