Water Jasmine

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found this one in a local nursery, it was pretty much ignored because no one could figure out what to do with it. However, when I asked the price, it was worth 2.5M VND (about $140 US)...no way!!

My buddy Tuan and I went one day but I sort of broused the other side of the nursery while he went looking at the tree. For him the tree was suddenly 1M VND...damned 'white tax' !! I had taken a few pics of the tree and made some sketches earlier, at almost 6' tall, 48 around the base and about 400 lbs there was no way I was gonna get it home on my moto...had a baguette guy deliver it.

First pic is the way it was in the nursery, second one was after a day of scrubbing and some pruning, last is after about 8 hours of die-grinder action.

Attachments

• bonsai2 042.jpg
    bonsai2 042.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 392
  • bonsai2 053.jpg
    bonsai2 053.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 395

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
I could only post two pics so this is the way it was found.

Bob

Attachments

• bonsai2 041.jpg
    bonsai2 041.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 309
  • bonsai2 039.jpg
    bonsai2 039.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 262

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, you have very nice material. Water jasmine is called as Mai Chiếu thủy in Vietnam, right? It has that name because its flowers face down to the ground or the pond, like the beautiful girl is looking into a basin water to which she uses as a mirror :)
BTW, baguette = ba gác , means xe ba gác in VN ;)
Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yep you got it

Except if I would have spelled it ba gac there would have been about 4 on the forum that would have any idea of what I was talking about. I spelled it like it pretty much sounds to a western ear. That poor guy peddled it about 5 km in the 100 degree heat...for $4 US.

Yes, there is a wealth of material here. About 14 nurseries very near town or in town but, the material is very rough, what they consider salable is just being started. They tend to make large branch cuts poorly and leave wire on until it leaves very big/deep scars on the branches. But hey, gives me more large material to work with:) cheap too.

Bob

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
A little further on, tree about done, the pot and stand finally delivered and the pond being leak-tested. So far this has been a fun project and should make a nice 'welcome' tree for the house. I don't think something that weighs as much as a compact car will grow legs but I'm chaining it down anyway.
The other things I've tried to do is create depth and (when potted), have everything keep your eye in motion so that you are always drawn back to the tree.

Bob

Also makes a very good beer cooler!!

Attachments

• bonsai2 067.jpg
    bonsai2 067.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 201
  • bonsai2 075.jpg
    bonsai2 075.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 187
  • bonsai2 082.jpg
    bonsai2 082.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 193

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I can't imagine the final product, but I have a feeling it will be great. Can't way to see it potted up.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, Head Cutter. Lucky you to live in the tropics where such material can be had!

Great stump to start with. Really marvelous material. Please keep us posted as this bad boy progresses. Thanks for posting this.

G52

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks guys it's just a fun project of a 'welcome' tree. So far the potting session is set up for this Sunday.

There will be lime leeching for a while but no problem, very little bothers this tree...or most WJ for that matter. I wound up having to use some used motor oil and baby oil mix for the color in the shari and that didn't seem to cause any problems, soooooo. A big block of ice for the 'cooler', a box of beer and about a half day of good old Bonsai fun.

Bob

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, do you think the tree is too big for those rock? I take a look your tree again. It looks like there are some small trees on the mountain with waterfall. However, I think you will have a very nice miniature landscape. Bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wanted to make it look like some very old trees I've seen along streams and rivers here in the mountains, there were a few design problems so I tried to just work with the flaws. It will never be a real good specimin just unique.

Nope, no fish...yet ha ha.

Bob

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
A very hot day but it's in the pot--now it's time to go to work on it. Potting day turned out to be 100 deg. and about 150% humidity by 9AM, everything/everyone under mist till it was done.

Attachments

• bonsai2 084.jpg
    bonsai2 084.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 162
  • bonsai2 085.jpg
    bonsai2 085.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 158
  • bonsai2 087.jpg
    bonsai2 087.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 174
  • bonsai2 088.jpg
    bonsai2 088.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 172

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Set up and ready to continue working

Pretty much stabalized, pond full, fish and water lettuce in. It will take a while to get the styling/wiring and the rest of the grinding finished but I have time. Right now it's drawing crowds at the gate off and on. Yes, although it's big ugly and heavy I still chained it down just to be sure.

Bob

Attachments

• bonsai2 100.jpg
    bonsai2 100.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 153
  • bonsai2 102.jpg
    bonsai2 102.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 162
  • bonsai2 104.jpg
    bonsai2 104.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 157

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's really a sweet setup Bob. Quite a chunk of tree you have there!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a massive trunk you got there Bob. I first thought it was a rock! You are going to have a lot fun carving it. Just to go wild with this, I thought may be you could try hollowing it out like a cave then carve some tiny steps inside it leading up to a temple in the sky. The foliage masses can symbolize clouds. Here's a sketch of how I see it.
Thanks for showing your tree! The front of your house kinda reminds me of my old house in Vietnam.
Si~

Attachments

• Bob's Mai chieu Thuy.jpg
    Bob's Mai chieu Thuy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 117

visfsucym

Seedling
Reaction score
It is a very nice tree and good work. It should be around 50 years easily.
My uncle used to have a very old one that was 50 years old by the year of 2000.
The tree trunk was a little bit smaller than yours because He kept the tree in box for its whole life.
He was planning the tree in a heavy 2’x’2x’2 cement box and the box was right in front of his entry door
and its flowers perfumed his whole living room at night.
It is more difficult to find old Water Jasmine trees now in VN because people don’t want to sell the good ones away anymore.

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I found this one in a local nursery, it was pretty much ignored because no one could figure out what to do with it. However, when I asked the price, it was worth 2.5M VND (about $140 US)...no way!!

My buddy Tuan and I went one day but I sort of broused the other side of the nursery while he went looking at the tree. For him the tree was suddenly 1M VND...damned 'white tax' !!

i have the same problem here i Thailand. i have to go scope out the trees i'm interested in and even though i can speak Thai just fine, i disappear and let my wife do the negotiating.

i'm just starting out with jasmine. first thing i notice is the branches are very hard to bend compared to banyan (ficus). i guess i will need to use guide wires and slowly apply a bit more pressure every few weeks until i get the shape i want.

Top Bottom