Water Oak (Quercus Nigra)

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
This is another of my native oaks.

Water oaks are iffy when it comes to bonsai. The leaves are pretty big and if you defoliate, they tend to come back even larger. I have gotten some leaf reduction by regularly trimming back to the first or second leaf on a twig.

In my experience, water oaks tend to lose twigs fairly often and because of this, they don't ramify to fine twigging very well.

Over all, I'd rate them as an average tree to work on for bonsai. Fun to play with, but difficult at best to make a good bonsai from.

That said, here is what I would call my best effort so far. I've kind of neglected this tree, so I had to do a fairly hard trim on it.

Before and after a defoliate and trim.

Edit: I tried to take a couple of more pictures from other sides but my batteries died. Maybe later.

Attachments

• P6030001.jpg
    P6030001.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 232
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 227
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice example of a tough subject, Jay. Water oaks are plentiful landscape trees but have the habit of dying very slowly, over decades, by rotting straight up the trunk. A member of our local club has a decent one as bonsai, but it's got the same hollow up the middle. I've personally avoided them. But you've done well, all things considered.

Zach

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Even if the leaves don't reduce, this certainly has a pretty winter structure and would be worth keeping in my opinion. You've done awesome work with the branch structure and the hollowing looks (is?) very natural. This makes me want to go hunting for some oaks! We've got some awesome corkers up here. . . .

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Zack, I collected three or four of them several years ago, but none since because of the negatives of them. I'll keep playing with the ones I have though.

Even if the leaves don't reduce, this certainly has a pretty winter structure and would be worth keeping in my opinion. You've done awesome work with the branch structure and the hollowing looks (is?) very natural. This makes me want to go hunting for some oaks! We've got some awesome corkers up here. . . .

The leafless look is OK with these, but I would like a bit finer twigging. The hollowing/deadwood is natural. Came that way from the field.:)
Thanks for your kind words Alex.
Go ahead, hunt you up a couple! Whats to lose?

Here are a few more pics: the four sides.

Attachments

• P6030001.jpg
    P6030001.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 127
  • P6030002.jpg
    P6030002.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 108
  • P6030003.jpg
    P6030003.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 95
  • P6030004.jpg
    P6030004.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 94

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
A couple more pictures.

The best front?

Closeups of trunk.

Attachments

• P6030005.jpg
    P6030005.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P6030007.jpg
    P6030007.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P6030008.jpg
    P6030008.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 97

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
This is another of my native oaks.

Water oaks are iffy when it comes to bonsai. The leaves are pretty big and if you defoliate, they tend to come back even larger. I have gotten some leaf reduction by regularly trimming back to the first or second leaf on a twig.

In my experience, water oaks tend to lose twigs fairly often and because of this, they don't ramify to fine twigging very well.

Over all, I'd rate them as an average tree to work on for bonsai. Fun to play with, but difficult at best to make a good bonsai from.

That said, here is what I would call my best effort so far. I've kind of neglected this tree, so I had to do a fairly hard trim on it.

Before and after a defoliate and trim.

Edit: I tried to take a couple of more pictures from other sides but my batteries died. Maybe later.
Have you or would you collect a water oak in the fall?

Top Bottom