Water Oak

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Summer update. I cut this tree back hard after the spring flush because I felt like it was getting too wide. It responded well and is filling out again.

View attachment 199764
About the tree. When you “cut back” on this oak tree after the spring flush.....Are you cutting when the spring flush is still freshly developing and not hardened off yet? Or. Do you cut at the time that spring growth hardens (turns from that soft new growth green to the more leather-like mature green would be my description of hardening)? Next.....using a progression following the same cut questioning....Does the tree respond by opening buds far back on the branches or does the tree just produce new buds toward the tips of branches?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
About the tree. When you “cut back” on this oak tree after the spring flush.....Are you cutting when the spring flush is still freshly developing and not hardened off yet? Or. Do you cut at the time that spring growth hardens (turns from that soft new growth green to the more leather-like mature green would be my description of hardening)? Next.....using a progression following the same cut questioning....Does the tree respond by opening buds far back on the branches or does the tree just produce new buds toward the tips of branches?

I don't think it matters much with this tree. I prune it at almost any time. It will frequently throw out a new shoot with 4 or 5 newly developing leaves on the shoot and I'll prune back to one or 2 when the eaves are still immature. Especially in the apex where this tree can get out of control easily. I haven't seen a lot of buds popping way back on the branches or the trunk though. Mostly toward the tips or a couple leaves back. I'm sure it would respond ok though even if I pruned it back to bare branches. The tree is a tank.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think it matters much with this tree. I prune it at almost any time. It will frequently throw out a new shoot with 4 or 5 newly developing leaves on the shoot and I'll prune back to one or 2 when the eaves are still immature. Especially in the apex where this tree can get out of control easily. I haven't seen a lot of buds popping way back on the branches or the trunk though. Mostly toward the tips or a couple leaves back. I'm sure it would respond ok though even if I pruned it back to bare branches. The tree is a tank.
Thanks for the details. I have a Oak, exact species not known (but not a Water Oak) right now but native to my area, that sits in a container (ground growing didn’t seem to be working). Small size...trunk is only 1-1/8” diameter. Unfortunately...,a fairly straight trunk. Still growing though. Each year it gets more and more branch growth but the leaves only open at the very ends. Spindly....comes to mind as a description. There are a lot of buds back on the branches. A lot. I have been thinking that I might restart the tree growing closer to the trunk by cutting back next spring before there is the first flush of growth....sort of like deer pruning on a tree...to stimulate numerous buds back further down. The tree is healthy...just has leaves to far from the trunk. Reading your work-done descriptions gives me hope for my oak. Any details you can add as you talk about your progress are helpful.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like this tree, Dan! You've made it very happy and on top of that, it's a beautiful bonsai :)

Not a suggestion, just a question cuz I'm not familiar with the species: Can you air layer a Water Oak?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like this tree, Dan! You've made it very happy and on top of that, it's a beautiful bonsai :)

Not a suggestion, just a question cuz I'm not familiar with the species: Can you air layer a Water Oak?

Thanks for the kind words. It helps to start with nice material for sure. About air layering, I really have no idea. Based on the way it produces roots I would venture to say yes but this tree is my only experience with the species. They don't grow around me.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Late summer update on my oak. It has had a good year after getting established in its new roomier home. My club show is coming up in 2 weeks and I think I've decided to show this tree. It will be my first. Now I need to clean out the old nasty sphagnum and find a crap load of moss...

2019-09-01 13.17.23.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No repot for my Oak this year. I'll take a look at the roots again next year probably. It seems to be budding out really strong. Looking forward to seeing it with leaves again.

20200318_111923.jpg

Attachments

• 20200318_112001.jpg
    20200318_112001.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 8

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m not familiar with the growth habits on these, but I’d say you’ve achieved quite a bit in 4 years! I didn’t think oaks could develop this fast. Did this side by side for ya. Great work.
View attachment 294914

Appreciate it. Yeah, this thing grows like a weed from April until October or so and just doesn't stop. I was surprised by how fast the leader thickened and by how quickly the top got out of control. I left too much going on up there and messed up the taper in the upper portion of the tree. It's pretty noticeable when the tree is bare, but so far I haven't been bothered enough by it to lop off the top and grow a new one. I'm guessing that would be pretty simple to do on this tree if it ever comes to that.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Summer update. Chugging along like a tank again this year. We've had a 2 week heat wave here in VA with temps in the upper 90s and oppressive humidity. This things doesn't care. Most of my other trees have stopped growing, except for this one, my hornbeam and the BC. They don't stop.

Considering a pretty hard cutback this winter to chase back the branches a bit and maybe simplify the structure a bit.

20200724_101631.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Summer update. Chugging along like a tank again this year. We've had a 2 week heat wave here in VA with temps in the upper 90s and oppressive humidity. This things doesn't care. Most of my other trees have stopped growing, except for this one, my hornbeam and the BC. They don't stop.

Considering a pretty hard cutback this winter to chase back the branches a bit and maybe simplify the structure a bit.

View attachment 318075
Beautiful, Dan! Oaks are highly underrated as bonsai subjects. This example should help to change that.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful, Dan! Oaks are highly underrated as bonsai subjects. This example should help to change that.

Thanks a lot Zach. Everything was already there when I got it from you. Little bit of wire here and there, lots of water and fertilizer and the tree took care of the rest. Best impulse buy ever!

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 318075
Just a gorgeous oak you have there, it has come along nicely. They are vigorously aren’t they. I have 4 in the ground that just don’t quit. Let me ask you, how big around is it at the lower quarter just above the nebari? Great work and beautiful pot keep the updates coming. I’m fairly new to the bonsai art and I just found out that I’m just 45 mins from Zach I have looked at his material and work and yes indeed he is awesome.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just a gorgeous oak you have there, it has come along nicely. They are vigorously aren’t they. I have 4 in the ground that just don’t quit. Let me ask you, how big around is it at the lower quarter just above the nebari? Great work and beautiful pot keep the updates coming. I’m fairly new to the bonsai art and I just found out that I’m just 45 mins from Zach I have looked at his material and work and yes indeed he is awesome.

Thanks! Its about 3 inches right above the nebari. I haven't measured but thats about right based on the old eyeball test.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Of course all see things differently but is there any consideration to breaking trees symmetry? Changing to assymetry😜. The care, horticultural skill and development you show most excellently done.

Top Bottom