Water Oak

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tree.
Are you growing that like a cypress without drainage?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hansom little guy. That is a water oak?

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Hansom little guy. That is a water oak?
collected it as a seedling under a full size water oak so that is the ID I am going with. Leaves are narrower than Live Oak so its not that for sure. Live Oak is pretty much the only alternative from where I collected it in an urban setting.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
collected it as a seedling under a full size water oak so that is the ID I am going with. Leaves are narrower than Live Oak so its not that for sure. Live Oak is pretty much the only alternative from where I collected it in an urban setting.
I guess that is now on my list.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The leaves look like Q. phellos, willow oak. Granted, its pretty young and the leaf shape could change. I've also read that water and willow oaks hybridize readily though.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The leaves look like Q. phellos, willow oak. Granted, its pretty young and the leaf shape could change. I've also read that water and willow oaks hybridize readily though.
This is true. In areas where Williow Oaks, Water Oaks and Live Oaks live it can be really hard to tell the difference. Especially until they are older. I have a Live Oak that looks very similar.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've had a few full size leaves on it and they match up to nigra pretty well. Willow Oak is not one I've seen in central FLA. Looked it up and Willow ranges to N. FLA and its not really used in the landscape here so I doubt its that. This seedling was right under a Water Oak so I am leaning towards that.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think its a hybrid, more willow than water oak. That is compared to willow oaks around here. I have planted at least 400 willow oaks in Northern VA and they had narrower strap shape leaves than what you show. But of course I will allow that those grown in the far south could be different. The plant you are showing is very nice.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am familiar with the willow oak, but have yet to see one in central FLA. Especially in the middle of Lakeland where this was collected. I did get a few mature leaves on it at first and those really looked like water oak.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm also definitely feeling the willow ID. Water leaves can be highly variable and even occasionally resemble a willow, but not in the case of all the leaves -you would have at least some other leaves with that frog-foot spatulate shape.
Neat tree. Think the leaves will reduce?

BTW -I hope you prove willow wrong, this would be good to know/see.
Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom