Water root experimenting

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Like most of us, I'm sure our plant collection extends much further than our trees!

Succulents really peaked my interest in horticulture. I've always been fascinated with their ability to take extreme beatings and neglect.

I've learned that there is a HUGE difference between water roots, and roots that develop in substrate.

I'm not sure on the scientific reasons, but roots that develop in substrate, are not suited to grow in water. Say you pluck a succulent out of the ground and throw it in some water, those roots will die, but it will develop new "water roots".

I've been doing experiments on different plants, trying to figure out what plants can make this conversion. So far I've discovered that Kalanchoe blossfeldana, this varity of Crassula (still haven't been able to pin point exact name yet), and another variety of Kalanchoe called Mother of Millions.

I'm also working with a habanero clipping to see if it will develop roots. It's been in water for 2 weeks now. It shows no roots yet, but it's still very healthy.

Ive learned that to keep your hydroponic succulents happy, you need to change the water weekly, and keep the water oxygenated.

Anyone else try something similar?

15111558952542044429938.jpg
1511155949452600315689.jpg 15111560077431279848547.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing succulents in water is like trying to grow trees in air!

Lol!

Option one...never water a succulent and watch it grow!

Option 2....grow it Hydro with weekly water changes.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watched the Japanese do it.
Noted the glass containers were ugly, and thought, perhaps if they used
opaque matte glass. Also not round bulb shapes.

It's the appearance.
I would politely suggest, a deeper research into your containers.

Apart from that, excellent work, and I encourage you to explore, and
invent, a new way to show.
Good Day
Anthony

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Watched the Japanese do it.
Noted the glass containers were ugly, and thought, perhaps if they used
opaque matte glass. Also not round bulb shapes.

It's the appearance.
I would politely suggest, a deeper research into your containers.

Apart from that, excellent work, and I encourage you to explore, and
invent, a new way to show.
Good Day
Anthony
Thanks! And yes I see now that my containers are uglyyy. Now that I've smoothed out a few bumps, I can focus more on the appearance!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can also use stoneware shapes.

Or Bonsai pots with holes plugged.
Hope to see your work as time passes.
Good Day
Anthony

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some do the same with leaves. I have a planted aquarium and some plants that grow on stream banks in flood zones will get completely submerged for long periods. They will shed their terrestrial leaves and grow new set of water leaves. When the floodwaters recede, they revert back again.
I had a Cardinal Lobelia growing in a pot on my deck, and one in my aquarium.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some do the same with leaves. I have a planted aquarium and some plants that grow on stream banks in flood zones will get completely submerged for long periods. They will shed their terrestrial leaves and grow new set of water leaves. When the floodwaters recede, they revert back again.
I had a Cardinal Lobelia growing in a pot on my deck, and one in my aquarium.
Woah thats wild! I had no idea. I wonder if trees that turn into rafts after falling into the river do this

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have face book there is a group call SUCCULENT DREAMERS , a bunch of folks grow are growing succulents in water like your doing. It seems to work well, but I'm not sure how long the plants live .... good luck.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have face book there is a group call SUCCULENT DREAMERS , a bunch of folks grow are growing succulents in water like your doing. It seems to work well, but I'm not sure how long the plants live .... good luck.
Thank you! Im gonna check it out!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The more research I'm doing, the more I'm learning that this is kind of a new frontier... There are so many who say that what I'm doing, can't be done. But the problem is that they either did it incorrectly, or with the wrong species/varieties

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if it's "new" ... I have some plant books from the 60's that show how to do it, but it's def fun to experiment with different plants and cuttings. That's how I got started out doing bonsai .

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Elms do this to an extent. If they are planted in substrate that is very water retentive, they develop fat, white, fleshy roots. I have heard to these referred to as water roots. They are almost guaranteed to rot/die when pruned or when planted in a drier substrate.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure if it's "new" ... I have some plant books from the 60's that show how to do it, but it's def fun to experiment with different plants and cuttings. That's how I got started out doing bonsai .
I don't doubt it's been around for awhile, I just feel like there's still so much to be learned about it!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Elms do this to an extent. If they are planted in substrate that is very water retentive, they develop fat, white, fleshy roots. I have heard to these referred to as water roots. They are almost guaranteed to rot/die when pruned or when planted in a drier substrate.
Some of my research had taught me that the roots that develop in the soil, and water are completely different. The roots that develop in water (or the really muddy substrate) have to ability to directly absorb oxygen from the through their roots

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@gallina1594
I've been doing a hydroponic ficus experiment since February. My plan is to grow trunks and primaries first and fast, then make the conversion from water to soil for ramification, so kind of the opposite of what you're doing but maybe still getting to the same answer... Here's a link to mine:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ficus-experiment.27965/

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@gallina1594
I've been doing a hydroponic ficus experiment since February. My plan is to grow trunks and primaries first and fast, then make the conversion from water to soil for ramification, so kind of the opposite of what you're doing but maybe still getting to the same answer... Here's a link to mine:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ficus-experiment.27965/
Love your experiment as well! It gave me some ideas to improve my setup. But you're right, we're doing the same thing, but opposite.. lol. When the time comes that you're ready to transfer to a soil, I've read that you have to keep it really swampy and wet for a bit and gradually let the soil go back to a more natural level of moisture. Doing so will give it the best chance of converting the water roots to soil roots

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did the first trunk chop about three weeks ago, so I have some cuttings going. My plan is to test it on one of these when they're ready, I'm thinking a severe root prune and a humidity tent may be all it takes. Hopefully it works...

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's been quite awhile since I posted this, but if anyone's curious, this is the one from the original post! Not just alive, but thriving!
15525782762691127395183140991208.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When the time comes that you're ready to transfer to a soil, I've read that you have to keep it really swampy and wet for a bit and gradually let the soil go back to a more natural level of moisture

Well, I had to shut down my indoor grow last summer to make room for a roommate because of money troubles, and the only surviving plant was my mother ficus. I was able to successfully transfer it from hydroponic to soil pretty easily, just did a hard root prune with a humidity tent for a couple weeks.

Looks like your experiment was successful too, looking good!

Top Bottom