Water Salinity Testing Method

Cjlopez4

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a water purification system this is tied to not only the interior of the home, it's also connected to the exteior hose bibs and lawn sprinkler. Is there a testing kit for salinity I should use to see if the content is too high?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
wow just looked up the instantocean brand I used to have. Apparently they're $10.50 now. I guess inflation never sleeps

Cjlopez4

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is an acceptable level of salinity for watering bonsai? I’m assuming zero.

Saffa365

Mame
Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means , I use 2/3rds ro water and 1/3 tap water
I do know that when I had a small scale coral farm I was using water from a water softener and it caused havoc with my sodium chloride levels , ( I didn't realise I was using a supply on a softner)
Basic answer would be 0
Unless you using a salinity probe then we are talking very small readings

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In most cases people measure salinity (ion content) by measuring the electrical resistance of the water - more salts conduct more electricity through the water. You'll see people rate the water purity by the mega ohms of resisance - best purity water in laboratory conditions is typically 18 mega ohm. You can get a conductivity meter (about $100 to $1,000) or get a pretty good idea using a multimeter. https://sciencing.com/measure-conductivity-water-multimeter-8523350.html

Top Bottom