Water tray in Summer

jorge.reto

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a few pre-bonsai trees in early development stage and this Spring I will repot them in 100% inorganic soils (50% pumice, 25% akadama, 25% lava rock) hopping to get a better growth next season! I will also repot them to in square collanders to provide lots of air to the roots. Summers are hot where I live (Lisbon, Portugal) and to compensate the new soil and pots, I think I will have to water the trees on average 3 times daily.

Since I live in an appartment, I have all my trees in a balcony wich gets alot of Sun!
The problem is, everytime I water the trees some water starts dripping from the balconny wich is not very nice for the people walking by...
I know we should not use water trays to prevent roots from rotting but how harmfull would it be to use them only in the Summer to prevent water from dripping?

Fast growth is my main priority for next season and I really want to switch from my old 50% organic soil without being an asshole for people walking in the street!

Any advice is welcome!

1673264058089.png1673264223869.png1673264262100.png

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A simple solution I used in a apartment same concern . Get yourself a large plastic tray . Put a drain pipe in one corner . Fill the tray with gravel . Place the trees on the gravel . When you water the tray and gravel hold some water away from the roots . This allows a increase in local humidity around the trees . Normally a plus for mist trees . The drain. Allows excess to be collected in a bucket . You can even allow sone roots to escape the basket into the gravel . Increasing growth . Just cut the root at end of summer . This technique is used all the time with trees on the ground or partially buried in pots in the tree nursery trade

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can also place the pot on tiles in the tray so that it has an air space below the pot so its not sitting in the water.
I do this for my tropicals when I have them inside all winter. I use 2 inch square tiles I bought from Home Depot or Lowes that come in small sheets for bathroom or kitchen walls.

IMO the tiles make it easier to clean the tray when needed than the gravel.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can also place the pot on tiles in the tray so that it has an air space below the pot so its not sitting in the water.
I do this for my tropicals when I have them inside all winter. I use 2 inch square tiles I bought from Home Depot or Lowes that come in small sheets for bathroom or kitchen walls.

IMO the tiles make it easier to clean the tray when needed than the gravel.
I have never tried the tile idea . I was told once that the gravel . Slows evaporation. So the plants stay in higher humidity longer . Seems a bit of a stretch to me plus if you were that concerned use a deeper tray that holds more water . There is no doubt the gravel is a pain to clean . I used to just change it for fresh gravel . And wash it with the garden hose in the spring dry it in the sun But unlike the tile idea out a small fountain at one end have a zen thing going on destress after work 😎😎😎😎😎

Top Bottom