Water/Willow Oak from Jay Wilson

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am sure many of you remember last fall when Jay was selling off a few of his native trees. I was fortunate to purchase one. He listed it as a Willow Oak but I am thinking based on the leaves that it may be a Water Oak or perhaps a cross between the two. Here is a video of my first work on this tree...

The container is an old one by Tom Dimig.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good!

I also purchased on of these from Jay. A question - is your tree pushing new growth yet? I can't tell from the video if the buds are swelling or not (doesn't look like they've opened). Nothing on mine yet and I'm wondering if this is a species that tends to push new growth a little later in the season. Reason I'm asking is I have this nagging fear that I let it get too dry during the winter. Sure hope not.

Packing sure was great, wasn't it? I saved the frame contraption he built as a model in case I ever have to ship any decent sized trees.

Chris

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Chris... Buds are starting to open on mine...they started to swell about a week ago but had not done anything up to that point. I hope yours is ok and I bet in a couple weeks, when you weather improves, it will bud out for you.

Reactions: coh

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I did read that you should not repot to early...wait until there are certain signs that it is starting to grow before repotting.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They cross so readily who knows what it is. It is nice for sure.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John, if you see this - when you got the tree from Jay, was it growing in a colander or mesh type pot? How much root work did you do (removal in particular) during repotting? The buds on mine are swelling nicely so I'm starting to think about repotting...it's in a pond basket so I would expect a nice root system.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John its a nice looking tree. Any Oak will cross breed with another Oak so it be some sort of hybrid.

ed

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John, if you see this - when you got the tree from Jay, was it growing in a colander or mesh type pot? How much root work did you do (removal in particular) during repotting? The buds on mine are swelling nicely so I'm starting to think about repotting...it's in a pond basket so I would expect a nice root system.

Mine came without a container...but had been grown in a wooden box.... I found a mesh screen embedded right in the middle of the root ball...a pad of more than 2" of solid roots had grown under the screen...I removed all of it. Overall I thought the roots were pretty good and I wasn't drastic but I removed a lot....over 50% easy...

It is responding well with new leaves and buds all over...

Reactions: coh

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Third haircut this growing season....I'm pleased with the development...
IMG_3181.JPG

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks great, John. I have to do the second trimming on mine (yes, that's the climate difference at work) this week.

Chris

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice John! This is the one I wanted to buy but you beat me to it! :confused:
Sorry about that... I just hope I can give it the attention to detail that you would!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom