Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian Van Fleet submitted a new resource:

Watering Bonsai Trees - Beginner series: How to water bonsai trees

Watering
Along with proper siting, proper watering is among the most critical tasks to master to become successful in the art of bonsai. Water too frequently, or too infrequently, and the tree's health declines. Usually, the symptoms of overwatering and underwatering are similar.

Watering Tools
Most bonsai are outside, making it efficient to water with a garden hose and gun/wand attachment with a "shower" setting for a softer, diffuse spray:...

Read more about this resource...

Reaction score
Bonsai newbie here. I'm troubleshooting for a struggling juniper. Is there any tried and true method if determining whether I am watering improperly or siting improperly?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai newbie here. I'm troubleshooting for a struggling juniper. Is there any tried and true method if determining whether I am watering improperly or siting improperly?
As a rule, junipers prefer full sun- meaning they'd like to be in direct sunlight from dawn to dusk- and they don't like constantly wet roots and do best in a inorganic aggregate soil- akadam:lava:pumice (heavier on the pumice if in a wet location) is ideal. With this scenario, watering daily or more during the growing season won't ever be a problem. With that being said, we don't know your location so all bets are off. You need to start a thread on your juniper to get the best advice.

Top Bottom