Watering Cans.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, I don't want to stir up a touchy subject (What is the best type of soil and growing container and how should I fertilize the tree I want to collect in midsummer and keep in my house?) but my Google-fu is failing me.

What is the reasoning for using a fine rose on a watering can versus a normal stream of water type? My thoughts:
  1. Finer droplets will not disturb the soil
  2. Is it enough to oxygenate the water?
  3. Water flow is slower, allowing water to be absorbed or flow through the pot with flooding/backing up
I'm probably missing some arguments. What is the scientific reasoning behind it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you got it!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
if you use nonorganic soils you will quickly realize that if you water to fast all the soil will move.
I think the freedraining feature of nonorganic soils and larger particle size help the oxygenating, don't think the watering can will make a difference.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't use watering cans. I use a wand from the dollar store on the end a garden hose. Drench the whole tree top to bottom.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I usually use watering can for fertilizing and when I check for dry trees, a wand for regular watering.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to auto water at the old place and use a Haws Watering Can with the fine rose on some plants that were changed out at the entrance frequently. Pretty certain 1 and 3 are correct. In my mind oxygenation occurs when the water flushes through the substrate as it has to draw air to drain...

Grimmy

Top Bottom