watering during winter

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can you please go over watering during winter for me? I plan on sinking my pots in mulch up as far as I can to the first branch. My question is once the pots are under mulch how frequently should I water during winter. I normally sunk pots in dirt and would not water until I took them out. This year im using mulch with pots above ground. Im not sure if I should water once everything freezes up.
thanks

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
during dormancy, the tree's needs are far lower moisture-wise than when growing. They cannot dry out, but wont use much water. Usually rain or snow will take care of things if kept outdoors. If they are frozen, no water is used so watering is not needed at all.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you get warm dry periods, I would suggest putting long wood skewers into the pots before you mulch them. Then you can pull them out to check moisture levels without disturbing the mulch bed. I do this even in my cold house.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lost 2 nice trees (or potentially nice trees) last winter due to under-watering...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Outside....or sheltered storage?

I lost 2 nice trees (or potentially nice trees) last winter due to under-watering...

Were the 2 trees outside in the winter elements able to have snowfall cover them or in some storage device like an unheated attached garage or similar. If placed close to a home's foundation I've experienced that snowfall or natural winter watering does not reach the tree because of roof overhang shielding. The trees near the foundation just get cold unless I manually shovel and pile up snow. Just curious as to your experience.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They were in the garage, where I winter many trees. Just somehow neglected those two, may have assumed they were moist enough...lesson learned.

Chris

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All of our plants will be protected from wind and have been mulched in. Until the ground stays frozen in the pots I give them all a light watering every 2 weeks and then nature takes over until Spring.

That has worked well for 6 years now. The reason I added protected from wind is a few years ago we lost a few maples and since adding wind protection have lost none.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok not to much different than what I did when I sank them in the ground. Thanks all

Top Bottom