Watering : High pH, Acidification, Hozon Siphon, Water Pressure, And More!

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All,

I'm on city water with a very high pH (around 9.0) out of the tap. I discovered this after a few of my trees were exhibiting extreme signs of chlorosis a few years back. After making the initial discovery, I started watering all of my trees by hand with a watering can and manually adjusting the pH that way. As my collection has grown, this has become a major chore.

After much research, I came to the Hozon Siphon. That said I've been experiencing some issues with a drastic drop in water pressure downstream of the siphon. With the siphon installed, the water just pours/dribbles out of the end of the Dramm Redhead 1000 water breaker I have on the end of the wand - not enough pressure to force the water out of the breaker in any sort of a clean pattern. Without the siphon installed, the water breaker performs flawlessly producing a beautiful rain of water. Sometimes it also seems to jump and skip like flow is getting cutoff or there is air in the system.

I've tried adjusting the system every which way to no avail (placing siphon at spigot, at the bottom of the wand, and in between the wand and the breaker head). I attached the breaker head directly to the Hozon at the spigot to rule out pressure loss through the length of the hose or wand, there's just not enough pressure coming out the end of the Hozon. My main question is - is this normal? I understand the brass opening is much smaller due to the venturi effect, but I feel like everyone would have this problem with the Hozon and not just me.

Second question - does anybody else have any other efficient and cost-effective methods of acidifying water out of the tap if this just isn't going to work? I've already spent more than I care on dead ends at this point... Really would like to avoid going back to the water can.

Thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Other than a whole house system to adjust the pH, the only thing I can think of is using barrels to put water in and adjust the pH and use a submersible pump with a hose

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Problem solved... Kind of. For now.

A little silicon glue to reduce hole count and restrict water flow. Smaller but perfect flow and stream now. We'll see how long it lasts, but I'm happy.

Attachments

• 274EF392-4BE1-46A1-8F82-713F54CF0E6A.jpeg
    274EF392-4BE1-46A1-8F82-713F54CF0E6A.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 3

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good job.

I’m amazed the Seattle drinking water at your tap has such been adjusted to such a high pH though. Seattle PU limits have been 7.5-8.5 since before 2016. Their untreated water runs 6.8 to 7.4 and SPU adjusts it up to prevent corrosion. Their alkalinity is low too.

You might want to call them and ask them what’s up

cheers
DSD sends

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If your solution doesn't last, check out a Japanese-style/Masakuni wand.

Top Bottom