Watering in winter

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have my trees tucked away for the winter in a cold frame by the house and covered with mulch. I watered them some time in November before it got really cold and then haven't since. I am unsure of when or if I should even water. Can watering during freezing weather hurt the roots? I don't want them to dry out, however they are covered quite well. I was counting on snow by now but it hasn't snowed at all and might not this month. Just worried. Thanks!

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check whether they are dry. That's the only thing that works. You can also water when it's freezing but with cold water and not too much.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good question. It is stricky with frozen trees. I would hope for someone from similar climate to drop in. Trees that are frozen solid can dry out, as the roots cannot take up water. Not sure how do deal with that.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’ve heard this debated recently.
my take is, that if your confident that your plant aren’t dry,......your good. If in doubt, I’d water them. It has been very dry here as well. Snow in October, but not much precipitation since. I watered my mulched plants a few days ago. Bone dry is death.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have my trees tucked away for the winter in a cold frame by the house and covered with mulch. I watered them some time in November before it got really cold and then haven't since. I am unsure of when or if I should even water. Can watering during freezing weather hurt the roots? I don't want them to dry out, however they are covered quite well. I was counting on snow by now but it hasn't snowed at all and might not this month. Just worried. Thanks!
I was told by my local bonsai nursery when I started a few years ago that it was good to water them if the soil is frozen. I was also told to water at least 1 time a week. Basically the plant is still alive and respiring so the roots are still growing but at a much reduced rate. I have a dawn redwood that I neglected last winter and it survived but the new branches it grew split. I believe it was because it dried out because I wasn’t watering it enough during winter and it sucks a lot of water up. I’d say just make sure to not allow your soil to dry out. And I’m sure more people will give you more advice on here who have more experience.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If the mulch/soil is frozen solid, there's no reason to water. If they aren't, water away. Ideally, you'll get some snow sooner then later with which to cover the mulch.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All my trees are on my patio table under the second floor deck. They usually are in the cold frame by now.
It has been in the high 30's and will hit the 50's by next week.
I checked them today and they were pretty dry as I haven't watered in about 3 weeks.
They all got a drink.
I will water maybe once a month after going in the cold frame.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Dave stated, if they are frozen, there is no need to water, they wont be able to get it.
If not, water when the plants need water, when they are almost dry. They will need to be watered less during the winter.
My trees go from being watered every day in the summer to once a week in the winter.
BUT you will need to monitor them. When temperatures warm up and the trees start to become more active, they may need to be watered more than once per week.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It depends! I keep an eye on my trees wintering outdoors but in three years have yet to need to water them over the winter. The ones In my root cellar the past two winters get checked every other week. Two winters ago they only needed to be watered once. Last winter it was about once a month.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water at least weekly if no precipitation in the winter. I do not worry at all about watering before the roots freeze.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It depends! I keep an eye on my trees wintering outdoors but in three years have yet to need to water them over the winter. The ones In my root cellar the past two winters get checked every other week. Two winters ago they only needed to be watered once. Last winter it was about once a month.
I’m with you on it. We’ve consistently gotten enough rain over the past several years that they’re all fine or have been fine. I mulch most in a big box that’s relative to an empty raised bed...crape myrtle and alike maybe twice water in garage over entire winter, probably once.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I should clarify.
I water my trees that are inside my garage once per week.
The trees that I winter in my cold frame dont get watered because we get enough rain to take care of them

Top Bottom