Watering system

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Im not planning on using as a drip system per se. I am using it on a timer with open ended feeders to deliver a flow of water to each pot for a period of time rather than a constant drip which would not be ideal. I understand your point with larger grain sized soil normally used in pots (ie Adakama), a single point might be problematic. For my set up this should work out fine.

Ive seen the same kind of system used at a bonsai nursery and it seemed to work fine for them. I was reluctant to go with any kind of sprinkler or misting system because Ive been told that wetting down the foliage on a daily basis can be a problem for some trees. Also a spray system is more wasteful of water. Since we are on the county water system and we pay for water, Id like to conserve as much as possible.

What is a open ended feeder?

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wanted to revive this thread and see where everyone is with their watering systems. What you like/use, if you've changed opinions, etc.

I've always worked afternoons and nights, and will continue to, but am picking up a part time job on top of that 3 days a week soon. My wife is home now but has her hands full with our newborn :).

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
I have several areas and benches that need water. What are some of the better options out there? I would like to do this myself and as economically as possible.
Haven't needed to water for three months. Two times I thought I did because of the two day drought. Haphazardly watered during the second drought toward the end of the second day but it rained again the third day. Talk to either God or the devil, totally depends on your perspective as to whether the volume of water received is a blessing or a curse. Locals seem to be cursing me and talking about "arks".
As for a cheap(er) system, sorry, can't help ya other than google, mother earth news, pinterest, what system(s) available at the local hardware store.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there an issue with watering maples overhead with the misters so high?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use a regular lawn sprinkler, a hose and a timer. I have two of these set up on a gang valve to 2 water different zones.

One comes on at 7am, waters for 25 minutes, shuts off. The second comes on at 730am, waters for 20 minutes, shuts off.

Was easy to set up and not as complicated as a drip type system which would not work well with the open soil is I use.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Thanks for all the responses guys! This is all very helpful! Glad to see many of you have the drip works system since I am also considering this as well. Seems to be economical and effective at the same time. I am thinking of using the sprayers as well.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to depend on my poor wife to water all my trees. Unfortunately she is not a bonsai person so for her this is more of a burden. So I need to be looking into an effective solution at some point.

BTW Judy really liking your set up. Very nice indeed!

What did you finally go with Mach? Anyone upgrade? Everyone still happy?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still holding to good ol' hand watering. So basically still abusing my poor wife with watering chores. But I will say she is a master waterer hands down! :D:eek:
Interesting that you've managed to delegate the most important and difficult bonsai task to your poor wife! :) Is she lobbying for an automatic system?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting that you've managed to delegate the most important and difficult bonsai task to your poor wife! :) Is she lobbying for an automatic system?

Yes I know right? Not asking (at least not yet) but I think she'll be very happy if I did. Likes and appreciates the trees but would be just as happy without them. :eek:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still holding to good ol' hand watering. So basically still abusing my poor wife with watering chores. But I will say she is a master waterer hands down! :D:eek:
She is a keeper for shure.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love my automatic irrigation system. As I’m planning on relocating in the next 3-4 years, I hesitate to invest a lot into an upgrade of my existing one (it’s not really set up for it anyway). But that doesn’t stop me from planning what the next system will look like. Have you ever seen a fertilizer injector board, Sergio? With one you can really dial in the pH and fertilization either through hand watering or automatic irrigation would be a breeze. Here’s one example:

Scott

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love my automatic irrigation system. As I’m planning on relocating in the next 3-4 years, I hesitate to invest a lot into an upgrade of my existing one (it’s not really set up for it anyway). But that doesn’t stop me from planning what the next system will look like. Have you ever seen a fertilizer injector board, Sergio? With one you can really dial in the pH and fertilization either through hand watering or automatic irrigation would be a breeze. Here’s one example:

Scott

Pretty awesome and sophisticated system Scott. I could only dream of having a similar set up. Reminds me of my reefing days having all sorts of plumbing and dosing devices to keep my corals thriving. I think the time will come when I will need to get some sort of automatic irrigation system in place.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pretty awesome and sophisticated system Scott. I could only dream of having a similar set up. Reminds me of my reefing days having all sorts of plumbing and dosing devices to keep my corals thriving. I think the time will come when I will need to get some sort of automatic irrigation system in place.

Those are pretty cool systems.

But for the next house - you need to have a single line going out to your trees - that you can install that on. The plumbing is cheap and not too complicated. The injectors are pretty expensive - I think they’re about $200 each or so

S

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those are pretty cool systems.

But for the next house - you need to have a single line going out to your trees - that you can install that on. The plumbing is cheap and not too complicated. The injectors are pretty expensive - I think they’re about $200 each or so

S

Shivers running through my spine just thinking about ever moving!!! :eek: I told my wife that she'll be burying me behind the garden by the van down the river. Yep that's right just half quoted Chris Farley! :p

I have a nearby line from a sprinkler system that I could tap into perhaps.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Shivers running through my spine just thinking about ever moving!!! :eek: I told my wife that she'll be burying me behind the garden by the van down the river. Yep that's right just half quoted Chris Farley! :p

I have a nearby line from a sprinkler system that I could tap into perhaps.

LOL - it only takes 20 summers in Houston sweltering from May until November to really start looking forward to it.

S

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL - it only takes 20 summers in Houston sweltering from May until November to really start looking forward to it.

S
When you're ready for a new climate challenge, Rochester NY awaits! Come for the National, stay for the winter. You might never complain about Houston again!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When you're ready for a new climate challenge, Rochester NY awaits! Come for the National, stay for the winter. You might never complain about Houston again!

!!! I fled that area to escape the winters there !!! I’m just looking for my Goldilocks zone.

S

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
!!! I fled that area to escape the winters there !!! I’m just looking for my Goldilocks zone.

S
Perhaps you overcorrected!

I liked the climate of Virginia a lot. Summers are hot but not too long, winters are...well, just enough to let you know it's winter without bashing you over the head with endless snow and cold. An occasional big snowstorm just to make things interesting.

Have thought about Colorado and also the Pac NW. Maybe Tahiti...

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been using https://misterlandscaper.com/ bought at Lowes.
They have a wide variety of misters, drippers, and spray patterns. Very cheap to implement and easy to set up.
I have fan sprayers in each of my plants and some misters overhead for cooling. Each run has a shutoff for selectivity.

Top Bottom