Watering Too Much in Spring

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a pine that I've been keeping relatively wet, and today when I pulled out the chopstick I have in the soil, I noticed a small amount of white fuzz, fungus, I'm assuming.

This has me worried for the state of the roots. I'll withhold water for the next few days, but is this a bigger issue to worry about?

I recently uppotted it into boon mix, but left the root ball almost entirely intact with nursery soil.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A better question would be how the tree in question is doing? Are the needles a deep green color? Are the candles beginning to elongate? Also, how wet is the soil staying. Evenly moist but not sodden is what you want.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A better question would be how the tree in question is doing? Are the needles a deep green color? Are the candles beginning to elongate? Also, how wet is the soil staying. Evenly moist but not sodden is what you want.
Candles haven’t started elongating much yet, and the needles are a deep, but slightly ashen green. Not dark green, but not pale either.

I would say the soil is pretty evenly moist, but the tricky part is the root mass in the middle is mostly nursery soil. This, the boon mix dries quickly, while the nursery soil stays wet.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
This, the boon mix dries quickly, while the nursery soil stays wet.

I found a trick for this issue (not the best or "correct" way to deal with this problem, but a trick anyway): I water more often the sides of the pot -Boon mix, fast draining soil- than the center -nursery, organic soil- until the right time to do a full repot.
A side problem is always the water washing down fast through the sides of the pot, and never reaching the base of the rootball.
Tricky.
And...
IF the sides of the rootball were scraped lightly at the moment of the slip potting, it helps the transition of the roots into the new soil.

Top Bottom