Watering when overwintering in a shed or garage

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those of you that overwinter your trees in a shed or garage, how do you do it without making a huge mess? Do you bring things outside to water thoroughly? Do you put some water barrier underneath and just lightly moisten to keep the substrate from drying out?

I have shohin trees in a concrete mixing tub so some water can pool without problems but my larger trees are just in the floor of my shed.

Thanks,
Lars

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Several years back I garaged some trees. I was concerned that water drip through would run out and freeze making a slick garage floor. So....I went to eBay and bought a pack of used cafeteria trays. They were about 16” x 20” and have a 1” lip that surrounds the tray. Dark brown. Thick plastic (I suspect to handle the abuse a cafeteria tray would get). I say plastic....but they feel like a fiber plastic. More sturdy. Very durable. Not flimsy at all. They were old-school thick trays. A seller had a Lot if 10 available. I bought them for $18 total shipping included. I’m confident that the seller expected more bidding....I guess it wasn’t a good week for selling cafeteria trays. There were probably other things to use....but.....The trays work just fine.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you’re worried about a wooden floor, maybe a tarp under? I have concrete pavers for a floor so it sucks up water and releases helping the humidity levels.

Thanks. So you are just lightly watering really just to wet the soil and not heavily to flush everything through like during the growing season?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
no really watering, letting it run thru, making sure it gets saturated.
I've never saturated my trees in pots during Winter, but I've never sheltered
indoors either, run off yes, but not saturation.
My dormant cave is utterly bone dry though, but being on ground
run off isn't the same issue for me as Lars' would be. I've always been gun shy after
a couple of my less expensive pots couldn't handle the expansion, and have just continued
the same thereafter for everything. Has served well. I think a colder climate would dictate less frequency too.
Cafeteria trays, now there's an idea, space thrifty storage too :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My shed is sooo old (Guesst1mate.. 90yrs) , the concrete is cracked, worn and painted 10 shades of whatever due to all the times people have done sloppy painted of chairs in there.. Runoff is not relevant.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never saturated my trees in pots during Winter, but I've never sheltered
indoors either, run off yes, but not saturation.
My dormant cave is utterly bone dry though, but being on ground
run off isn't the same issue for me as Lars' would be. I've always been gun shy after
a couple of my less expensive pots couldn't handle the expansion, and have just continued
the same thereafter for everything. Has served well. I think a colder climate would dictate less frequency too.
Cafeteria trays, now there's an idea, space thrifty storage too :)
Runoff means the plant has reached saturation in my opinion.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use boot trays. The grids ensure my pots are not sitting in runoff water. I then use a syphoning hose If the water goes above the grid.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have mine in my bonsai shed with windows on shelves. They all are on a HD matt with short sides so water will be retained. I buy them at D&B Supply. Could be used for boots or to put under your car in the garage. The ones I use are about 24"x40". I water with 0-10-10 and water enough so a little runs out and is collected in the matt. They all come out wonderful green in the spring and raring to go

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chalk one more up in the column for garage caused problems.

I was just googling for Japanese Bonsai in Garages. Seems to be none.

I'm just saying....

When we started doing this we thought bonsai were kept indoors.

How is, still keeping trees in a garage, Any less ridiculous?

It's been proven uneccesary, so why do we waste so much energies on it?

To have a foreign species that, due to the very fact it must be kept in the garage, will always be a level of subpar?

Compare that to what one could do with that energy spent on local species.

It boils down to 2 better trees to replace 1.
Maybe even more.

How much time do you waste on garage keeping?
An honest answer provides the answer to how many better local trees you can have.

This is Super Selfishness.
Be it.

Don't be just plain old selfish.

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use these in hydro room..... trays and pump and hose....plug in an extension chord....and also a large shopvac to remove remaining water from trays.5 pack of trays for $70.....not too bad a deal......actually pump is to get water from 5 gallon buckets cause’ I use ro water:rolleyes:

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Partially disagree. I have a number of trees in a shed not because of cold, but because of wet. One of my Yew on the bench has moss 4 inches up the trunk. My tamarix, 6ft tall, was fully mossed over. 6 weeks of continuous (22hrs / day) drizzle and absense of sun will do this to your trees. So after cleanup and wiring, I tend to put rough barked species in the shed. To keep them better.

Also.. Cats, birds, footballs, branches.. All seem to have a knack for hitting my trees. So if I spent 2 days fully wiring my trees I might move them out of the way when I am cleaning / painting my benches.

There are many reasons for putting trees in sheds/garages. Not always needed but sometimes a good solution..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my Yew on the bench has moss 4 inches up the trunk.

This is preventable and should be for aesthetic purposes.

When this is prevented, the wet is no longer a problem.

You see....

By not doing the work of removing moss from the trunk before it takes over, we are creating more work for ourselves.

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I move trees into the garage when necessary for a variety of reasons. sometimes i'm concerned the stretch of very low temps may be too much for certain species, sometimes i'm concerned that predicted snow may be too heavy and damage trees so they need protection.

If the move is because of snow, i usually just place snow on top of the soil to melt and water them while in the garage until i can move them back out.

If it's because of a stretch of very low temps i will usually water lightly or move them out of the garage, water and move back.

Generally i try to keep them outside as much as possible, but certain risks aren't worth taking so into the garage they go...it's been working for me for several years now.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You're correct Sorce...that was a pretty selfish post and inconsiderate of folks who live in zone 5 and colder who would like to grow JM and others that can't handle the cold. I would also guess that all of my trees come out of winter in better shape and more ready to rock than those that don't get protection here. As far as time spent putting them under cover...put them in when it starts getting cold, water them when needed, and take them out in early spring. How tough is that?

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I'm just saying....

To have a foreign species that, due to the very fact it must be kept in the garage, will always be a level of subpar?

Maybe even more.

An honest answer provides the answer to how many better local trees you can have.

Be it.

Sorce

This from the guy who refuses to protect azaleas in winter and their roots freeze ;)

Literally the only thing I have in my garage are azaleas. I could bury them, but that's even more wasted energy!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I'm just saying....

Maybe even more.

Be it.

Sorce
Valavanis even winters in an outbuilding. Eric the other mod on the FB group I'm affiliated with was talking about his speaking and doing a demo at his club. Talking of when they go dormant they are in total darkness. Before that he wheels then in and out doing the two step.

I think if trees wake come spring... who is to judge. I have an enclosed, heated to 35F gazebo for my trees. Shame on me...

Anyone who finds success... it's worth it. Those who wish to naysay...🤐

Last edited:
Top Bottom