Watering when overwintering in a shed or garage

Timber

Sapling
Reaction score
I use a pump sprayer from Home Depot to water in winter to prevent the mess. Takes a little longer but it gets the job done and an excuse to be w them for more time

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a level of inexperience displayed by the question that says it might actually be better for the OPs trees if we discuss why we got here in the first place.
although I will not venture into the OPs experience.. I do agree that a healthy exchange of idea whether keeping trees sheltered is a good idea. Stating that people who need to shelter their trees have the wrong trees is just your view, and does not help a healthy discussion about the pros and cons of sheltering. I mean.. I could say that eople unwilling to provide shelter for their trees are not trying dedicated to the hobby. Neither statement makes general sense.

And then.. What is shelter really.

I mean.. My shed is constructed with a ventilating roof. So.. There is space between the roof and the walls, about 4 inches. I have closed most of the spaces, but left some for drying and ventilation. As a result, my shed follows outside temperatures in general, although the spikes up and down are skipped: In summer during the day cool, in winter during night relatively warm. Humidity is similar to outside. An ideal outdoor protected space for those seeking shelter from cold spikes during a limited number of nights (e.g., olives) or plants being sheltered from excessive rain to keep the bark algea and moss free (e.g., corkbark elm, tamarix).

This is very different from a garage attached to the heated house which is 20F warmer than outside with bonedry air. Which again differs from a small lean-to greenhouse (Which I also have but gets too warm in winter to keep my trees dormant. So I only use it as rain shelter for mediteranean trees during out 3-5 months of permarain that do not care about air temps rising quickly on the odd sunny day.

All in all, maybe 10 of my trees get as a default special care in winter. The rest... Only after wiring/repotting do I move them out of the way, especially when doing yard work such as trimming trees or like 2 weeks ago, putting new fences and security in.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stating that people who need to shelter their trees have the wrong trees is just your view

Never said that either.

They have the wrong shelter!

I already thought "is it April Fool's?".

This is not funny though!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stating that people who need to shelter their trees have the wrong trees is just your view
Never said that either.

Not verbatum but..
To have a foreign species that, due to the very fact it must be kept in the garage, will always be a level of subpar?
Compare that to what one could do with that energy spent on local species.
It boils down to 2 better trees to replace 1.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes.

A heater will not help us keep the pressures necessary to keep a deep sea fish.

In that scenario, with fish species we can't yet keep at home, a heater becomes like a clip on grow light on a Bristlecone Pine.

Useless.

This, watering in the garage, is perhaps a problem best solved by not causing it in the first place.

Why is this not worth considering?

Perhaps the only tree that needs water only needs water because it's in the garage and will be safe outside.

Most importantly,

There is a level of inexperience displayed by the question that says it might actually be better for the OPs trees if we discuss why we got here in the first place.

Of course ...

I only thought this forum was to help people take best care of their trees.

Everyone kinda just assumes the garage is better cause "Bill v keeps his trees" blah blah blah.

Think.

Just think .

Sorce
No, mine is more personal. I've not lost ONE tree wintering in a controlled cold greenhouse. As a Gardner who does my own landscaping. Losing mature material in the ground. Zone friendly...SUCKED! We all grasp a tree in a pot loses a hardiness zone.

What I can't grasp is...ones who choose to do less...seem more judgemental. When ones can not possibly grasp another ones climate that isn't ones own. 🤷

But come-on... Valavanis is no beginner. He is a Piller in the Bonsai community. So yeah , we learn techniques from ones with experience going into this hobby. Why would wintering techniques be so taboo?

I don't care if one doesn't winter with the protection I offer. But I go to bed... with little concern for my dormant trees. We have a rough winter...I still worry about landscape things waking. Last tree in the yard I lost to our Wacky winters. A lavender twist. So in losing zone friendly trees in the ground over the years. I think Valavanis has it right. I think Judy has it right. Why is that... spring success with bonsai.

This really is a mote argument that is rediculous. Anyone finding success with dormant trees come spring. That is an accomplishment not worth arguing about.

I'm so done with this topic.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the same that that deep sea fish will be dead.

It's just the truth that happens with wrong environment.

Wrong environment.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've not lost ONE tree wintering in a controlled cold greenhouse

Exactly.

That's always been my point!

Invest in correct or don't have the trees.

IMO....

There is no between.

Though folks have provided a few exceptions.

What I'm trying to help other people avoid, is ruining trees by putting them in the garage, which can also happen..

Then again.....Everytime we talk garage we talk as if they are all equal.

So we lack.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then again.....Everytime we talk garage we talk as if they are all equal.

exactly..:
And then.. What is shelter really.

I mean.. My shed is constructed with a ventilating roof. So.. There is space between the roof and the walls, about 4 inches. I have closed most of the spaces, but left some for drying and ventilation. As a result, my shed follows outside temperatures in general, although the spikes up and down are skipped: In summer during the day cool, in winter during night relatively warm. Humidity is similar to outside.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What thread is that quote from?
Trying to see if it's true that, it will be the only post that addresses what needs to be addressed, in a thread where there is countless mindless posts ignoring these key factors.

I am with you.

Except the moss...

I believe you have what it takes to pay attention enough to prevent it.

I know this because I am no better than you, and I remembered to take the ole vinegar dish and toothbrush outside the other day.

This is of course, after many days thinking about how neglectful I've been.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What thread is that quote from?
Trying to see if it's true that, it will be the only post that addresses what needs to be addressed, in a thread where there is countless mindless posts ignoring these key factors.

I quoted a post a few posts up.. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/watering-when-overwintering-in-a-shed-or-garage.41374/post-705080

Except the moss...
I believe you have what it takes to pay attention enough to prevent it.
Thank you but.. It all depends on.. Being at work when it is light. Busy in the weekend. Then a few weeks you do not see the trees in daylight and moss comes up from the rootball without warning and the trunk gets covered. Note.. I do not NOT keep moss on my substrate. I use moss and weed killer. But that lasts 4-6 weeks in winter.

Top Bottom