watering with warm water

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Question , Is it better to water the your bonsai trees with slightly warm water ?🤒

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As long as it isn't close to temperatures that will cook leaves or roots, I dont think the trees care too much. People often spray trees with water when temperatures are predicted to drop below freezing to prevent damage, particularly to citrus trees.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well if the water is below 3 degree C etc.. pay to warm the water up
Are you watering using water you have stored in a barrel or something?

Water out of a hose from your house would never be that cold anyway.

Also if the water is stored outside and it's that cold, it and the pots will probably be frozen. If the pots are frozen, they don't need to be watered because the roots won't be able to absorb it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just remember I'm in New Zealand
I saw your location, I don't understand how that matters? I get below freezing temperatures here too and I would never think I needed to heat up water. I use a hose to water my trees and if I need to water in the winter, it always comes out of the hose well above freezing.

Most of the time in the winter, I let rain and snow water my trees for me. If it snows enough, I let it bury my trees and that is cold. Never had a problem with it

Last edited:
Reaction score
I usually root prune most species about 1 month before the start of Spring.
The weather in my area is still capable of dropping to zero at this time of the year, and often does.
The tap water is bloody cold (makes hand ache if you leave it under the running water).
I store water in bottles and let it sit for a couple of days to help disperse the chemicals.
This stored water also gets VERY cold being outdoors.
If its a sunny morning and the pots have warmed up, i actually warm this water up a bit before applying.
Its got to shock the damaged/pruned root system going from warm to a sudden icy cold temp.
Maybe im just applying human biological processes to plants and shouldnt do that?
Even if im doing something that doesnt really matter, its allowing me to spend more time with the things i love most...so who cares! : )

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at a friend's house once, they left the heater on the pool too long and it was hot out. Jumping in it sent water into nasal places I didn't know existed. That changed my mind about watering temperatures.

It is different, it should penetrate greater.

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Huh? Your trees watering your hands? 😄

This sounds very strange lol

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cannot see any circumstance where using warm water to water outside makes any sense unless it is for seedlings.
Now inside for tropicals it is different. All my watering inside is done from a reservoir at room temperature.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't make any difference to the seeds or whatever. Water can't get below 32 without becoming a solid (Which is the only thing that will hurt a plant). Trees/plants don't need bathwater warm water. Cold water may give YOU a headache, but trees/plants don't have nervous systems

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I saw your location, I don't understand how that matters? I get below freezing temperatures here too and I would never think I needed to heat up water. I use a hose to water my trees and if I need to water in the winter, it always comes out of the hose well above freezing.

Most of the time in the winter, I let rain and snow water my trees for me. If it snows enough, I let it bury my trees and that is cold. Never had a problem with it
3 degrees celsius is 37 degrees fahrenheit. Cold but not freezing. It's fine to water with the hose at this temp, won't hurt your plants.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tropicals may benefit from warming your tap water up a bit in winter. By "a bit" I mean anything above 10 C.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won't make any difference to the seeds or whatever.
I tend to agree but on greenhouse studies of seedlings, watering with cold water retards growth significantly and a single watering of cold water has an effect for a few days.
Not that this applies to the op's situation but just a point for people growing seeds indoors or in greenhouse environments.
Tropicals may benefit from warming your tap water up a bit in winter. By "a bit" I mean anything above 10 C.
I absolutely agree and that is why my reservoir of water is at room temperature.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Trees don't feel things like animals do. Rather, temperature and length of the day will trigger responses from the tree - like going dormant and extending buds. But they don't otherwise really know or care about the temp of water. In fact, when it rains in winter, the water is quite cold.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Trees of all sizes in temperate areas all get watered by freezing rain on occasion. As long as they aren't in leaf or leafing out, they are fine.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My hose gets hot and all the water inside is hot. I usually spray it upwards into the air over the grass so it cools a bit before hitting the grass. Once the cold water starts coming out, I start watering my trees.

Top Bottom