Watering with willow water?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there.
I have a Chinese willow in my yard that I have to trim every 3 months so I put the branches in water and get gallons of willow water like that.
I use it as a rooting hormone, I put my cutting in it to grow roots but something I never try will be to water some of my trees that are in training for growing a good root ball with it (may be not each and every watering, more like once in while alternating with water watering).
Does anyone here ever tried that?
Does it work?
Could it be dangerous for the tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It won't be dangerous to the tree, but the benefits will be miniscule. Willow water may help easily rooted cuttings, but unless you actually boil the willow branches to a pulp, it will not be very strong.

You'd do as well dissolving a couple of unbuffered asprin in a quart of water.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It won't be dangerous to the tree, but the benefits will be miniscule. Willow water may help easily rooted cuttings, but unless you actually boil the willow branches to a pulp, it will not be very strong.

You'd do as well dissolving a couple of unbuffered asprin in a quart of water.

Thanks! The key point is 'It won't be dangerous to the tree' I read that willow water could be toxic to other species.

I will try then.
It may not help a lot but it's ok, I don't want my tree to be forced in any way, anyway.
I was just planing to water it normally and let it grow its roots at its rhythm but with the equivalent of a diluted rooting hormone solution it could give it a little extra help.
And if its not dangerous then as my grand-mother would have say: try it, if it doesn't do you any good it can't do you any bad . :)

Top Bottom