Wax Myrtle, Myrica cerifera

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Wax Myrtle is another native tree and this one was first collected several years ago. It's probably not a good tree for bonsai as they are short lived in the wild (maybe 25 years).

After I first collected this one and had it in a pot for a year or two, I decided not to mess with wax myrtles and put this one back in the ground. I would cut it back every year or two mainly because it would get too bushy and start shading other trees in my grow bed.

Last spring, just for the heck of it, I dug it out again and put it in a grow box and let it grow wild for a year. The first picture is the result of a years growth.

Two weeks ago, I decided to cut it back and pot it up. Second picture.

I have no idea how this tree will ramify etc. but it will be fun to see how it will react to this small pot and bonsai culture.

It stands 10 inches from the pot rim.

Edit: Darn, I really need to repaint my photo backdrop.

Attachments

• P1060230.jpg
    P1060230.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 229
  • P2070021.jpg
    P2070021.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Gardener

Seedling
Reaction score
Is this tree anything like the Crepe Myrtle?

I have a Crepe Myrtle that I bought at a hardware store, I chose the Crepe Myrtle because the bark peels and it appears older. I haven't put it in a bonsai pot yet so I don't really know how it will react, I also don't know of any one with one.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Jay,
I have found that they bud back very well with shorter internodes on old wood. The leaves will also reduce over time in culture.
Irene

G3ON5IA_GUY

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't want to revive such an old thread but I figured why not since it was already here. I was wondering what experience people had with these trees and if this particular tree or any others have worked out well as bonsai specimen. If so a friend and I have found some decent specimen on his property that we would like to collect.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have one in my yard that i'm debating bonsai'ing, as it's grows like made, back buds like crazy, smells good too. Unsure the age though is terms of longevity?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's what the heck that is growing all over down here like a weed. Finally got a name to put with it!

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Fun fact: Native Americans would rub the leaves of wax myrtle on their skin to repel mosquitos.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mosquitos,

A thought to help one get through winter. Cold and wet snow may suck, but mosquitos suck more!

Sorce

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes down here some southerners call the "No Flea Trees". People state that they help to repel fleas. I personally hate the smell of them.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The suffer bad branch dieback. Don't fall in love with the tree.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is this tree anything like the Crepe Myrtle?

I have a Crepe Myrtle that I bought at a hardware store, I chose the Crepe Myrtle because the bark peels and it appears older. I haven't put it in a bonsai pot yet so I don't really know how it will react, I also don't know of any one with one.
No it isn’t…..

Top Bottom