Way to save or propagate a ficus ginseng bonsai after serious root rot?

Reaction score
Hi! I have a little dear ginseng bonsai that got serious root rot after a heatwave then likely too much moisture. Its leaves fell off, and I recently noticed the bottom of its single trunk had become hollow, and it started to tip over. I tried to wipe off the gooey hollowed rotten trunk, it has no roots at all any more, but at the same time, the remaining trunk and branches still seem green and alive, and like they might have life left in them. Is there any hope at all for the plant without proper root structure or leaves left? Including.. trying to propagate from a trunk or branch cutting?
I'll try anything that might have any potential whatsoever. Any tips, ideas, or resources greatly appreciated. Including soil types, nutrient additives, techniques, etc Thank you very very much!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These things are smart. It may have already begun to throw new roots above the old ones!

Welcome to Crazy!

Bury it and wait!

Sorce

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
My advice.. get rid of it and get a decent Tiger bark ficus or Chinese elm xD

Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. Does anyone know anything about propagating from branches? It only has like two, and never did have many leaves on them.. I'm wondering If I should try propagating a branch sooner rather than later, but I know next to nothing about it. Trying to learn as much as I can.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks for the input thus far. Does anyone know anything about propagating from branches? It only has like two, and never did have many leaves on them.. I'm wondering If I should try propagating a branch sooner rather than later, but I know next to nothing about it. Trying to learn as much as I can.
Ficus cuttings root easily. Leave a leaf or two on them, stick them in some soil with rooting hormone or not. Tent the cutting with a cut off plastic bottle or bag. I have only done it outside during the summer. Add your location to your profile so we know what part of the world you are in.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As mentioned, ficus generally root really well.
Shoots and branches can be cut and planted in soil or even in a glass of water and will usually produce roots.

Ficus are so good at new roots it is possible you may be able to save the whole tree. Chop the rotted section of all roots back to healthy, clean wood then plant the whole tree in fresh soil. Provide high humidity and it is likely the whole tree will grow new roots and survive.
I guess that's what @sorce was alluding to initially, sometimes ficus can spontaneously produce new roots to overcome damaged sections, sometimes they need a little help and without actually seeing the damage but assuming ALL roots have died I guess this one will need all the help it can get, including new soil.

Care of most trees IS often location specific and seasonal so providing a location helps with advice. Photos are good because they show us lots of things you may have forgotten to mention.

Reaction score
I'm in central Oregon USA. Thanks again everyone. As really a complete newbie doing my best to learn as much as I can and help a little friend.

I replanted the ginseng bonsai, applied 3% hydrogen peroxide to hopefully kill the root rot, with new soil, and rooting hormone. But unfortunately the rot was still there and kept creeping, and took more of the bottom of the trunk. Only 2 branches left, very small, but still green and seem alive.. and finally it looks like a tiny leaf is starting to sprout again on one of them! After many months. But I'm not quite sure. I really would like to try cutting propagation with the remaining branches. And just really give it my best attempt at a saving experiment. They mostly are completely leafless tiny branches though. What's the best approach here? I'm willing to try the best techniques.

I'm still a bit confused what to do. I researched a bit, and I'm trying to incorporate all the most positive suggestions I found. I'm presently soaking them for a bit in hydrogen peroxide/ water mix to try to really kill and clear the rot. The tips I cut at an angle foam up from the hydrogen peroxide.. does that mean there's still fungus there?

-Should I make sure I use specific blade /scissor types to cut the ends? ( I just used standard scissors)
-Should I try propagating them as cuttings in water, or soil? (Should I try one in soil and one in water? Or do ginseng ficus cuttings typically do better propagating with one more than the other?)
-Any suggestions for the ideal optimized soil and pots to use in this situation?
-How to really fully clear the root rot, and make it leave for good and stay away? (ie any recommended anti-rot products, besides hydrogen peroxide?)
-How to best apply and optimize rooting hormone?

I am keeping them outside on my porch in partial shade partial sun. It seemed like someone mentioned them being outside in Spring/early summer helps cuttings/roots to grow somehow. How does this work?

Thank you very very much!
Leif

🌱

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Root rot fungus will only be in the soil so cuttings taken above should be free of disease but note that root rot fungus can spread from one pot to another through air, water, tools, hands, etc. Keep new cuttings away from affected trees.
Foaming H2O2 is not indicating killing a problem. It is just what peroxide does in contact with organic material, including plant material.
Use any sharp blades to cut plants and make cuttings.
Ficus cuttings will root equally well in water or soil. Cuttings do seem to transplant better from soil to soil than from water to soil though after roots are established.
All hormone mixes will work. Available as powder, liquid and gel. I prefer gel but all formulations are good. Apply as directed for the product. More is not better and can actually be worse so follow the directions for the product you use.
Many different soils will be OK but you need to adapt watering to suit the soil or adapt the soil to suit your watering. I'd recommend a more open mix with less organics if you've been having trouble with roots as that usually indicates chronic over watering. There is no one soil that will prevent root rot. That's up to you and watering.
Trees can usually overcome root rot provided you stop causing the problem by over watering and provided you catch the problem early enough. If it already too late there's nothing I know of that will turn things around.
Fresh, moving air is best for plants. Indoors air is stagnant and suits fungus better. UV from sun is antibiotic so can actually help reduce fungal problems. Humidity is also better outdoors while indoors is generally drier air from AC or heating. More light also helps plants grow. Indoor can be just too shaded for most plants except those adapted to low light of jungles.

Good luck with saving your tree or the cuttings.

Top Bottom