Ways of artificially aging or creating patina on pots?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a few cheap chinese pots and one nice American made pot, none of which show any signs of age. Has anyone discovered any ways of artificially aging or creating patina on pots? I thought about doing a light spray of acid onto one of my cheap Chinese pots or maybe even submerging it in a bucket, but have yet to attempt it. The thought being that it would eat away a bit of the glaze and allow more oils to start penetrating the surface.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Leave 'em outside exposed to the weather -- with or without a tree in them.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I haven't tried many forms of speeding up the process. I buried a few pots under my benches last spring. I read that the Japanese suggest burying pots to speed the process. Maybe I will unearth them this spring and see if I can notice a difference. I took before photos before burying them.

Ok, theory time. My guess is air pollution has something to do with the rate at which Japanese pots age/add patina. Americans have old pots too(50 years is enough to begin to show patina) and they don't develop the same patina. Idk if you grill, but my grill is placed on the end of the porch and the grill exhaust hits a portion of the exterior stone wall. We usually clean this portion of the wall once a year, because it develops patina(dirt) in a short time period. The soot develops the way patina would on a pot. The stone is a rough finish, so it has ridges etc, and the patina is deeper on the ridges than the valleys. Idk, something to consider. Placing your pots in an increased air pollution atmosphere might develop patina faster. Not sure how you would do that, lol in a smoker? Maybe I will get my hands on a decent pot and place it above my grill this year. Whatever you do, I think it is going to be difficult to accelerate the process without it appearing artificial.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is another good article on patina:
http://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/pots-and-patina/
It also discusses forged patina.

Like Jim recommended, I do leave my pots out under the benches all the time just so they're exposed to the elements. So far, I can report that they're at least dirty and full of leaves. Forming any patina? Dunno, but it beats having them in the garage.

Ang3lfir3 or Victrina recommended a glass-etching product to dull the glossy finish of some glazed pots. It's on here somewhere.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I believe patina is oxidation from the minerals and chemicals in the soil and air reacting with the pot.

My theory on creating this would be to fill a pot with some organic fertilizer and wile some on the outside of the pot if you wish. Then leave that pot out in the elements so that the fertilizer can slowly breakdown in the pot going through heat and cold and wet and dry periods.

I'm just thinking basic chemistry and reaction

A faster but possibly less natural version may be to dunk the pot a few times a week into a strong liquid fertilizer and let it soak then let it sit out for a few days. Repeat this for a few weeks and if there is anything to react it should.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought about doing a light spray of acid onto one of my cheap Chinese pots or maybe even submerging it in a bucket, but have yet to attempt it. The thought being that it would eat away a bit of the glaze.
Instead of using the acid, you can use the salty water like ocean water to deep the pot in. I have a couple of antique dishes and vases which have excellent appearance. Those items was in the ocean for more than 500 years.
Bonhe

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Instead of using the acid, you can use the salty water like ocean water to deep the pot in. I have a couple of antique dishes and vases which have excellent appearance. Those items was in the ocean for more than 500 years.
Bonhe
Well there ya go...all you need is ocean water and 500 years to achieve that not-artifical patina look....:p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my mind..."proper" patina is a mixture of:
1. dirt buildup
2. (body) oils
3. fine polishing (by repeated handling)

If you look at really old pots, architectural buildings...even your house where there is constant hand contact (that is not re-painted or regularly scrubbed), you will see what I mean. Natural weathering (deterioration) is a separate issue for me.

Leaving pots out or burying them may have a buildup or staining but not the other 2. They won't look and feel the same.

BTW, for a convincing work, it should be on proper places and not uniform. Again try handling a pot and see where it will get the most contact. A large pot will have it in a different place compared to a small one which may be lifted more often. The devil is in the details. ;)

Knowing and understanding these (as with anything) will help you "fake" or simulate a "patina" better.

Just my 2 cents and good luck!

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boon keeps his pots outside in the weather. Some are under the benches of the trees. Some are stacked on benches. He does not have them filled with soil.

I'm sure that if there was a "better" way, he'd do it.

I will say that for the show, his pots get treated with walnut oil.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patina in good teapots is very much associated with the handling of the pot. There has to be evidence of wear from, for example, the fingers constantly grasping the lid and handle. The spout and the lid around the edges should be darker from repeated use. Shouldn't good patina in a bonsai pot be evidence of long term use as well, instead of something we try to push faster by artificial methods ?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see much of a problem with the idea of artificially aging pots when bonsai is all about creating, some would say artificially, the image of an old miniaturized tree in a pot. Of course I would love to have patina form naturally, but why would I not want to speed up the process if possible? The oil from your hands building up on the pot probably factors in a lot, but I bet there are ways to add to the effect. That's what I'm trying to find.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't see much of a problem with the idea of artificially aging pots when bonsai is all about creating, some would say artificially, the image of an old miniaturized tree in a pot. Of course I would love to have patina form naturally, but why would I not want to speed up the process if possible? The oil from your hands building up on the pot probably factors in a lot, but I bet there are ways to add to the effect. That's what I'm trying to find.

If you want a "worn" look people have been using this http://www.walmart.com/ip/24419194?...33582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem Uneven apps work best from what I recall.

Grimmy

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Don't Do it!!!! J/K To each his own, but IMO it just does not seem right and I can't imagine it looking all that great. Peter Tea told me that the best way to get patina on a pot is by using it and that's it's formed by a combination of things-soil, water, air, oil from your hands, other outside elements and lots of time.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in the "natural" weathering school. But, cheap Chinese production pots will probably never appreciate in value. Etching solution is a little pricey and works so-so. 1000 or 1200 grit emery cloth will knock the gloss off without obvious signs and is cheap. It can also be used on cheap unglazed pots. Neither are really "game changers" just subtle. Good pots need to left good pots.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Patina in the home :)

switch.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sculpter Rodin used to instruct his students to piss on his bronzes for patina...maybe this could be an option?

halfclueless

Sapling
Reaction score
Step:

1) Rub lotion on hand.
2) Fondle desired pot.
3) Leave outside to weather
4) repeat fondling process for the year.

haha

My wife suggested the fondling.

Top Bottom