Wazakura Bonsai Tools

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Today I've got a surprise for everyone, but first I wanted to let you know about my experience with an old/new Japanese bonsai and ikebana tool company - Wazakura Japan. I say old/new because while the company is relatively new (founded in 2019), it sells craftsman built tools from established artisans, some of whom represent three generations of experience. The company was created to increase accessibility to quality bonsai tools, while supporting traditional Japanese craftsmen and craftsmanship.

wazakura-splash.jpg

I highly recommend you check out their web site. In addition to their storefront, they have a wealth of information about the artisans, a bonsai blog, and a library of bonsai videos!

Because I didn't know much about the company, I ordered a couple of tools to review. I use long-handled scissors more than any other tool, and am rather particular about what I feel comfortable with, so I ordered one of their 8.25" "twig bonsai scissors". Then, because I know how difficult they are to make, I ordered one of their 8.25" "knob branch cutters". I thought the prices were very reasonable for hand-forged bonsai tools.

Both tools arrived in bubble envelopes, and each came in a plastic wrapped black gift box. It was a high quality unboxing experience - very suitable if you were gifting someone a tool.

waz1.jpg

The premium experience continued as I opened the boxes. Both tools were well-packaged, and came with an information brochure.

waz2.jpg

It is important to note that these tools came from two different shops. The scissors came from Mr. Shige, and the knob cutters came from Mr. Yuki. However the finish was quite similar. Both tools had a light protective coating of oil that I wiped off prior to taking the photos. On first impression:

The scissors were VERY sharp. Rivet was tight and the action was smooth. Tips met cleanly with a very minor overbite (which is what you want). Felt good in palm, and the finish was slightly rough so they didn't slip.

Knob cutters had interesting handles that gave you better grip during firmer cuts. Nice rough finish - almost like a powder coat. Tight rivet. The jaws met exactly with no overbite. Very sharp.

waz3.jpg

Here is another image with the tools opened. Very nice quality.

waz4.jpg

"But do they work", you ask? Well... I didn't have any major work on the agenda today, so I took the scissors out and snipped up some azaleas. Very sharp and clean. The long handle allowed me to get into the interior of the plants, and the tight tip allowed nice detail work. I use scissors a lot and found myself smiling using these.

waz5.jpg

When I said the knob cutter jaws met exactly with no overbite, this is what I meant. You can barely see the seam where the jaws meet.

waz6.jpg

Looking for a volunteer to prune, I had to resort to a landscape pine. The sharp jaws sliced through this branch pretty effortlessly.

waz7.jpg

You can see the cleanliness of the cut. Note the edges - how they are cut cleanly without crushing. Also note how there is no seam in the middle of the cut - because the jaws fit together so closely.

waz8.jpg

All in all, I love these tools and I can recommend them to anyone shopping for a good set of Japanese quality bonsai tools. Too bad I don't get to keep them, because... I will be giving them away!

I am announcing a new affiliate marketing program for Bonsai Nut! If you click on any of the links on this site, and decide to purchase some tools from Wazakura Japan, you will be helping to support the web site!

Also, I will be having a couple of fun contests over the next couple of months, where the winner of each contest will get one of the tools in this review. So stay tuned!! Thank you to our friends at Wazakura for the awards. Time to start holiday shopping!

Wazakura Bonsai Tools

Wazakura_1000_500.jpg

Last edited:

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great timing! I recently borrowed the hardware store pliers and wire cutters from my bonsai tool bag and have been beating them up the last few weeks removing an old chain link fence. I just paid myself back by ordering the wire cutter & plier set through the link you provided.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Talk about timing....I was just talking to the wife about replacing my tools. Looking for something that will last but hoping for something I don't have to take a mortgage out for!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Talk about timing....I was just talking to the wife about replacing my tools. Looking for something that will last but hoping for something I don't have to take a mortgage out for!
Though the global economy is crazy right now, it is a good time to purchase products from Japan. Not only might you get a better price (in dollars), but the company in Japan gets about 35% more Yen than they would have two years ago for the same amount of dollars. It is the mixed blessing of having a strong currency.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw them in Amazon a little over a year ago, been following them for a while but haven't bought anything from them yet as I don't "need" more tools for now... but, I think I will follow your link and order something. Their catalog is still very limited, they have added quite a few items, and expanded the Yasugi collection which is a very nice price for forged stainless steel tools out of Japan. I wish they have a rounded concave cutter and a larger root cutter, those I would buy now.

Did you had to pay any duties for importing? My understanding is that they are shipping straight from Japan, unless that changed recently.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you had to pay any duties for importing? My understanding is that they are shipping straight from Japan, unless that changed recently.
They now have a warehouse in the US. Not only did I not pay for duties, but shipping in the US is free (!)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They now have a warehouse in the US. Not only did I not pay for duties, but shipping in the US is free (!)
Thanks for posting this. I ordered a couple of things. Nice price for Japanese steel tools! Also interesting to see the pot listings, particularly the "Banko" category.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is great information! I had seen them and was wondering if they were actually Japanese tools or just the mass-produced cheap stuff you can find everywhere and then they add a nice label to them.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Could you please post the link to their online store here, please?
@Bonsai Nut

EDITED- Found it, sorry!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Holy 🤬!
Those prices are AMAZING for the supposed quality.
I imagine you get hit hard with the international shipping costs, but still.🤯

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy 🤬!
Those prices are AMAZING for the supposed quality.
I imagine you get hit hard with the international shipping costs, but still.🤯
As Nut said above, they have a U.S. warehouse. I've ordered several things today. Shipping has been marked "free."

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wish more companies would offer build your kit sets. Everyone has pliers and shears. Would be nice to avoid having multiples of the same tools especially when you need a few tools.

Will be taking a long look at these though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is great information! I had seen them and was wondering if they were actually Japanese tools or just the mass-produced cheap stuff you can find everywhere and then they add a nice label to them.
From the look of the tools online, I wouldn't think this stuff is cheapo Chinese-made junk. They are stamped "made in Japan" and the site has bios on the staff that make tools for them.

Top Bottom