weak juniper

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm not certain what species of juniper we are dealing with. If it is Juniper it appears to be Tamarisifolia, the care of which I am not aquainted. It also looks like it may be infested by either spider mites or Junioper scale or bothl.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers can be frustrating. Quite apart from possible pests and disease slowing growth many can be really slow to develop. It can take a few years to settle into a pot and start to grow significantly.
Check for possible disease as Vance has mentioned but you may also need to be patient.

What is your care schedule for this tree: soil mix, water frequency, fert frequency, sun, etc.

bcwoodcarver

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil is a mixture of organic matter , pumice, lava rock, fine gravel and clay(Diatomaceous Earth ) 70/30 gravel to organics.
water with drip irrigation, fertilize weekly and gets a lot of sunlight both filtered and direct.
i think a couple of my junipers has scale and have sprayed with peroxide/isopropanol/soap mix.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The soil is a mixture of organic matter , pumice, lava rock, fine gravel and clay(Diatomaceous Earth ) 70/30 gravel to organics.
water with drip irrigation, fertilize weekly and gets a lot of sunlight both filtered and direct.
i think a couple of my junipers has scale and have sprayed with peroxide/isopropanol/soap mix.

Scale can retard growth, damage growth, and even outright kill a juniper. Obviously the isopropyl/peroxide/soap mix is not effective. Either use the spray daily, until you see no sign of scale or mites, or go to something more effective. I would reach for a systemic like imdaproclid for the scale, and a separate miticide for the mites. Since mites are arachnids, they are not affected by most insecticides so you have to treat with both types. Key is follow label instructions.

Top Bottom