Weak Trident

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this trident last summer. It sort of went into winter weakly. I repotted this spring (maybe shouldn't have but it was pot bound bad). It got its first flush of growth but everything looks fairly weak. Thoughts on how to build strength? Full sun/partial sun?

20200704_103111.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's that grey looking bit on the first part of that branch?

I'm looking for other problems, such little growth always means problems for me.

Sorce

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's that grey looking bit on the first part of that branch?

I'm looking for other problems, such little growth always means problems for me.

Sorce
Here are some better pictures. I do think there is a fungal issue. I have been spraying with Daconil one a week for the past two weeks.
20200704_114847.jpg
20200704_114855.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You can't give a trident maple too much sun in MA.... or pretty much anywhere else on the east coast. Lots of water and ferts, too. What's it planted in, soil wise? Tridents are pretty bomb proof when growing strongly, even up north... as long as you protect them from frosts/freezes once they start growing in the late winter/early spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first inch or so of the branching looks funny to me.
If it's nothing else, it's sign that this thing has been growing weak like that for a while, if you consider those beginning of the branches was one,2,or even 3 "flushes" of growth.

Perhaps it is just weak cuz its weak?

Kinda looks like it grows well in fall though maybe, for them reddish tone parts seem one spurt of growth.

Sorce

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if i'm seeing double but i'm seeing two pots.... 😁 Are you air layering it?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No the second pot was to allow the roots to lengthen for a future root over rock.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No the second pot was to allow the roots to lengthen for a future root over rock.
Ah I see. So there's roots in the top pot...?
Or are you covering the trunk hoping for roots to shoot from the trunk?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah I see. So there's roots in the top pot...?
Or are you covering the trunk hoping for roots to shoot from the trunk?
Roots are in the top pot. The bottom is cut out so it is more like a tube. The original plan was once got established to water only the bottom pot to encourage long roots.

Top Bottom