Weak willow help

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Years ago I rooted Salix canariensis in water and when I put them in soil they did the same I guess they need to adapt, but then they sprouted back without problems

Larrytx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About 2 weeks ago I transplanted into soil 3 australian willows that rooted very well in a bucket of water. I wanted to transplant sooner but I was waiting on some supplies.
The foliage appears to be struggling and I am brand new to bonsai/plants so I’m not sure of the signs it’s giving me. Photo 1 large size pot, Photo 2 is medium pot, Photo 3 is small pot, all have drainage holes. The soil is foxfarms ocean forest. Any suggestions are appreciated as I’m not sure if they are overwatered, underwatered, transplant shock, not enough light for indoor, fertilizer burn, etc. It seems the new growth is slower and has brown tips. The leaves are shrinking but not turning yellow or brown in Photo 1 and Photo 2. In Photo 3 the leaves are falling off lowest branches and dying on the top branch. I’ve heard willows need a lot of water, but these are potted so I don’t want to waterlog the roots. Again, any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.View attachment 427352View attachment 427353View attachment 427354

jwell

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
What you have IS NOT AN AUTRALIAN WILLOW. It is a Frankenstein tree made from two North American Salix species--Hankow willow, Salix matsudana and white willow, Salix alba--from what I've seen online and what mikecheck post.
So an Australian willow(or geijera parviflora) doesn’t require as much water because it’s from an arid environment, but since you think mine is actually an Austree(Salix mix), would you think it needs more water like normal willow?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So an Australian willow(or geijera parviflora) doesn’t require as much water because it’s from an arid environment, but since you think mine is actually an Austree(Salix mix), would you think it needs more water like normal willow?
Yes.

The Geijeira variety is planted extensively in California due to its drought and sun tolerance. They even do well in parking lots.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's better to start cuttings in some soil. I use the fines from my pumice sifting, but seed starter mix would be as good, or perlite.
The important thing is to keep the cuttings hydrated while they make roots. I use a simple humidity hut which is just a clear plastic tub turned upside down over the flats of cuttings. You can take coat hanger wire and stick a few in the pots and then wrap clear plastic around the frame you make. I let it get morning sun and then shade the rest of the day. Works like a charm. Last year's cuttings are showing about ninety percent success this spring.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's better to start cuttings in some soil. I use the fines from my pumice sifting, but seed starter mix would be as good, or perlite.
The important thing is to keep the cuttings hydrated while they make roots. I use a simple humidity hut which is just a clear plastic tub turned upside down over the flats of cuttings. You can take coat hanger wire and stick a few in the pots and then wrap clear plastic around the frame you make. I let it get morning sun and then shade the rest of the day. Works like a charm. Last year's cuttings are showing about ninety percent success this spring.
Sticking in a cup of water is far simpler and fool proof.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sticking in a cup of water is far simpler and fool proof.
No, simpler is not always better and certainly not goof proof. I believe the op's initial problem was starting the cuttings in water. I go right from the tree to a pot of pumice. Keep it wet and watch it grow, mostly. I was losing about fifty percent. So I started doing the humidity hut thing and definitely getting more bang for my buck with the added humidity. I'm starting trees that are a lot harder to root than willow. Junipers and Japanese Maples, Dawn Redwood, Larch and some Korean hornbeams.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, simpler is not always better and certainly not goof proof. I believe the op's initial problem was starting the cuttings in water. I go right from the tree to a pot of pumice. Keep it wet and watch it grow, mostly. I was losing about fifty percent. So I started doing the humidity hut thing and definitely getting more bang for my buck with the added humidity. I'm starting trees that are a lot harder to root than willow. Junipers and Japanese Maples, Dawn Redwood, Larch and some Korean hornbeams.
Good advice in general. Overly complicated for willows.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The only willow I had lived in a goldfish bathtub. Aquatic soil in a deep pot and the pot sitting on a concrete block half submerged in the water.
It loved it. Had to keep it trimmed back at least every other week.

Roots escaped all the time and the fish loved them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a salix hybrid. Salix Matsudana

And White Willow

Both seem to like water, but it is apparently a little more drought tolerant than Weeping willow (salix babylonica).

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The only willow I had lived in a goldfish bathtub. Aquatic soil in a deep pot and the pot sitting on a concrete block half submerged in the water.
It loved it. Had to keep it trimmed back at least every other week.

Roots escaped all the time and the fish loved them.
P1010531.JPG

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I created an unintentional data point regarding willow soils. I slip potted my dwarf 'yatsubusa' willow into a huge pot with potting soil.

But it was cold and the leaves started wilting. No bueno!

I redid it back into proper bonsai soil and it's back in the saddle now.

The point of my cool story is that I'm convinced more than ever that willows like bonsai soil the best, even though they can thrive in very wet environments.

20220407_102818.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got some Salix alba (White willow) cuttings for Christmas. I put them in a jar of water and the roots and leaves are growing quickly.

It seems the consensus of this thread is that bonsai soil is a good choice.

But... what if I live in southern California? Since it loves water, should I just add a higher percentage of akadama or organic components? Or can I just get away with putting the pot in a dish of water?

Top Bottom