Webbing on Itoigawa Juniper

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before I cut all the affected portions off and burn them. (Yes, I'm unyeilding). Does anyone know what these spiders or bugs are? I saw them starting a week or so ago and at first my brain thought about those bad caterpillars, but I suddenly remembered them and the wind is diabolical today so yay, I can burn finally.

They only seem to be on this one Itoigawa juniper.

Attachments

• 20230502_151442.jpg
    20230502_151442.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20230502_151431.jpg
    20230502_151431.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 173

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a very serious case of spider mites. The infected plant should be submerged in a bucket of soapy water. It only takes a few minutes. I use Dr Bronners peppermint soap but others use dish washing soap. And everything else needs to be sprayed with something to knock back the mites or your problem will soon resolve itself and you will have no plants. I use the soapy solution for a spray. I know Bayers 3 in 1 controls mites, but every time I use it I start coughing. That's not good, so I don't use it. Keep in mind that you are moving these tiny mites from plant to plant inadvertently.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Agree do all the above and put the plant in quarantine well away from your other plants.
Keep misting the plants too as spider mites dont like damp

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn! that's a brutal infection. I agree, hose it down and mist it with water regularly. When my shimpaku got mites I set it on the ground (earth) in a fairly shady spot away from my other trees and watered the the tree from above every day. wetting the foliage and saturating the ground around it. damp shady locations aren't just disliked by mites, they are lethal to them. They get attacked by many common fungi in those conditions. The infestation will subside in a week or two if your results are like mine. Definitely do the paper test before you return the tree to your benches

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I believe all of you are definitely right. I decided to hit it hard with pesticide by Ho Yoku products and the problem is so much worse than I imagined. There's webbing all up and down the tree. I grabbed the Shimpaku that was next to it and hit it hard too. Both are now outside in my yard well and truly away from my other bonsai. All other trees will be getting treated too.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forbid 4F if you're treating something precious to you and don't want to mess around. Rotate it with another miticide to avoid resistance.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Almost no pesticides will kill mites, they just kill the insects that eat mites. Mites are arachnids and usually need a miticide to be killed. But if you do what we are telling you there is probably no need to go that route. There’s a reason trees in Nature aren’t typically infested with mites. If you really want to use something other than water and shade to treat them you can try the soapy water mixture. I used to use half water, half milk and a tiny drop of dish soap. That will kill the adult mites but not the eggs. Regardless, if you are keeping shimpaku indoors you’ll probably always have issues. I always think of mites or any pest as a sign that I’ve done something wrong and need to fix my horticulture.

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outside? Juniper don't do well inside 99% of the time. Some of your other trees might not either...
They aren't placed inside where the furnace runs. They are in a fully enclosed porch, if you can call it that with the drafts. It's enough to block the hard frost and they still get sunlight. I have a remote sensor out there for the temperature. It is always either at outside temp, or +/- 10 degrees. Rarely is it colder than it is outside. Just to be clear, there isn't a space heater out there either. Think of it as a nice detached garage or shed. My trees love it there in winter. They get weekly checks, I close the door behind me, and they can count water when they dry up on top. My juniper are especially happy there, along with my deshojo. As soon as mother's day hits and I don't do see a frosty night in the forecast, they go straight to the yard until roughly Thanksgiving. I have saved many of my trees doing this

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost no pesticides will kill mites, they just kill the insects that eat mites. Mites are arachnids and usually need a miticide to be killed. But if you do what we are telling you there is probably no need to go that route. There’s a reason trees in Nature aren’t typically infested with mites. If you really want to use something other than water and shade to treat them you can try the soapy water mixture. I used to use half water, half milk and a tiny drop of dish soap. That will kill the adult mites but not the eggs. Regardless, if you are keeping shimpaku indoors you’ll probably always have issues. I always think of mites or any pest as a sign that I’ve done something wrong and need to fix my horticulture.
I really should post pics of my porch for bonsai winter storage. They are NOT year round indoors, they are in my porch for winter only. We can easily go ‐50 windchill where I live. Real protection is needed for acclimation.

Also, I went out the next day after following the advice for shade and water, with the spray I used and the mites are gone. I can't even find their webs. I have continued the water and shade just in cause. The pesticide I used is made from plants they don't like I guess. Smelled like cinnamon and mint

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've only seen infestations that heavy on indoor plants. What kind of climate are these plants in?
We did get a really bad case of spider mites in the garden last year, my trees are kept in the garden within a shade greenhouse during the nicer months. My guess is they rode in on the junipers when I brought them in to save them from our crazy winter last year. Mites probably went dormant with the trees and then began to wake up in April. I always take all of my trees back outside on, or directly following mothers day. That day is the last chance of frost where I live. I noticed my trees are quite happy on the porch in winter and the vast majority pull through out there. Including the seedlings. I lost some bigger wisterias and maples two winters ago when I left then out in the light greenhouse. That was a frustrating Spring.

As for our climate, we get everywhere seems like. 100+degree summers, -50 windchill winters at their worst. Everything else in between too. We really struggled with drought last year. I live in zone 5 of Iowa, South Dakota region. I love it here, but extra care is needed.

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forbid 4F if you're treating something precious to you and don't want to mess around. Rotate it with another miticide to avoid resistance.
I have no idea what 4f is, but I will keep an eye out so I can avoid it. The pesticide I used smells like cinnamon and mint and is made from plants. I don't like to use any nasty pesticides, I have little kids that get into everything. So keeping the yard safe for them is a top priority. I also try to create a little haven for pollinators and beneficial insects in my garden. So harmful pesticides or off that list too. I check as much as I can before I bring something home. This time, I could the infestation was something that needed to be handled immediately and I wanted knew I could count on the people here for advice

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't let them scare you. We just get allot of newbies who think that a bonsai magically becomes a houseplant when it goes in a pot.

Not personally had problems with spider mites yet, but when I have trees that are some version of indoors I make a batch of tobacco tea. It'll kill EVERYTHING, but it's cheap and effective. DO NOT use it when they're outside, because it'll kill EVERYTHING.
Otherwise, it's relatively safe for kids and pets. A couple hours of mild discomfort is the worst you get unless they straight up drink the stuff. Then you call poison control or 911.

A handful of cheap tobacco steeped in a quart of hot water overnight. Add a drop or two of dish soap as a surfactant, and I like to add a little alcohol to kill anything living in the tobacco leaf.
Filter it, put it in a spray bottle and apply liberally. Can be stored in a cool dark place for a couple weeks if needs be.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Bailey
Please put your location on your profile.

A lot of bonsai info/advice is location specific so it will help us help you.

No one will remember where you are post to post and of its on your profile, we won't have to repeatedly ask.

That said, you've gotten good advice on how to deal with the mites. Don't delay and get on the quickly

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't let them scare you. We just get allot of newbies who think that a bonsai magically becomes a houseplant when it goes in a pot.

Not personally had problems with spider mites yet, but when I have trees that are some version of indoors I make a batch of tobacco tea. It'll kill EVERYTHING, but it's cheap and effective. DO NOT use it when they're outside, because it'll kill EVERYTHING.
Otherwise, it's relatively safe for kids and pets. A couple hours of mild discomfort is the worst you get unless they straight up drink the stuff. Then you call poison control or 911.

A handful of cheap tobacco steeped in a quart of hot water overnight. Add a drop or two of dish soap as a surfactant, and I like to add a little alcohol to kill anything living in the tobacco leaf.
Filter it, put it in a spray bottle and apply liberally. Can be stored in a cool dark place for a couple weeks if needs be.
I totally get it. Sometimes I catch people at a store looking at a fukien tea for their office space. I'm always polite, but they get a lot of info on why it shouldn't be indoors long term.
I had never heard about using tobacco leaves before, I'll have to write that down. Unfortunately, my daughter is a year and half and will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Until she is older and respects the word no, I have to extra cautious.

Bailey

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bailey
Please put your location on your profile.

A lot of bonsai info/advice is location specific so it will help us help you.

No one will remember where you are post to post and of its on your profile, we won't have to repeatedly ask.

That said, you've gotten good advice on how to deal with the mites. Don't delay and get on the quickly
Thanks, I will adjust my profile. I used the advice and the mites are already gone. I'll have to keep a lookout for mites this year

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I totally get it. Sometimes I catch people at a store looking at a fukien tea for their office space. I'm always polite, but they get a lot of info on why it shouldn't be indoors long term.
I had never heard about using tobacco leaves before, I'll have to write that down. Unfortunately, my daughter is a year and half and will stop at nothing to get what she wants. Until she is older and respects the word no, I have to extra cautious.
Total get it. My youngest is 4, and he still gets into trouble when he feels like helping. Loved his poor portulacaria to death.

The tobacco tea isn't bad, but I learned this winter not to try storing a big batch, and its not persistent enough for long term control. The nicotine breaks down too fast. I don't think it has any effect on eggs at all.
I make a small batch and keep it by my tropicals in winter. Just spray whenever I spot something.
It can discolor flowers and the like, BTW.

Top Bottom