Wedge cuts

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Please could someone explain what a wedge cut is, its purpose, and post any pics if you have them? Can't find any good resources on this.

Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO...
A physical impossibility.

Reckon that's why there's no pics or good resources.

I think one of a thousand need to be done. That one is on a 50k Yamadori.

Trouble is newbs have picked it up and use it more to satisfy themselves than make good trees.

If you actually need to do it and do it well, I reckon Carpentry Videos will give you a better look at the physics.

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if you have a trunk top or apex that lacks taper a V or wedge cut can be used so the trunk appears to break into two and can create better taper. its more used on naturalistic styled trees

Harry talks about using one on this elm

43188504814_24effe366e_c.jpg
Thread 'Sleepy Hollow-English Elm' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sleepy-hollow-english-elm.22380/

Thread 'Acer Katsura project#1' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/acer-katsura-project-1.37785/

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I tried to post the video here but wasn't able to, so here is the thread I started about it.
The amount of skill to do this is very high and not for the faint of heart.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I tried to post the video here but wasn't able to, so here is the thread I started about it.
That's what I was thinking of when I think "wedge cut". Removing a wedge out of a trunk or large branch to facilitate big bends.

Love the video, particularly the wood screw at the end. Would love to see what the tree looked like after a couple of years. It is one thing to do major work like this, another to have the branch survive it :) Make sure to note - this is a tropical tree in a tropical environment.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Holy sh*t!!! definitely won't be trying that, but Harry Harrington's method seems pretty achievable.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Pretty cool stuff! Here I was thinking OP was talking about cutting wedges out of a root mass for a gentler repotting rather than bare root/ comb out the roots. Good thing I didn't respond first!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the branch wedgy ive only seen done on conifers. WP has a spruce on his blog where the branch was cut and bent.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if you have a trunk top or apex that lacks taper a V or wedge cut can be used so the trunk appears to break into two and can create better taper. its more used on naturalistic styled trees

View attachment 373857

This reminds me of a penjing style where they create two side by side trees, one much smaller, out of two!

btw: In a recent seasonal lite Michael Hagedorn says he's doing a series of cuts rather a wedge nowadays. He mentioned that the edges don't always meet properly with a wedge and a series of cuts gives one more control over the bend.

Cheers
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This may be an advantage for healing as well. probably applies particularly to bottom cuts where the wedge is meant to meet after cutting as Michael suggests, rather than wedge cuts above to create open space and bend the branch down. I have found that removing a wedge above works well. The opening can be filled with epoxy and the scar healed over naturally to give a more aesthetic appearance. For a first step I stuff the wedge with cut paste until the edges start to heal. This retains a humid environment and the callus forms faster with less die back. Then later I clean out the paste, fill and contour with epoxy so the callus can form a natural branch shape with healing.
Another use for wedge cuts in in treating the formation of taper when reducing the height of a tree! It is an alternative to winning the top or leaving the top flat. This approach was the result of encouragement and suggestion by David DeGroot. To is cut flat, Center drilled out consecutively with progressive larger bits but shorter distance each time to hollow the top section. Think of ice cream cone shaped excavation. The a wedge cut is made in two or three locations with the top being compressed with c clamps, fastened with screws to form tapered top. Any cavity is filled with epoxy and scars healed for a natural tapered top or better transition. PS: did mention that you should identify a shoot to become the new apex and protect it during the work so it begins to look even more natural after a few years.
This is a picture of my attempt at the above on my Ezo Spruce. Four years later and 18 inches shorter than the original. I am optimistic that four years from now the top will be quite improved. If I perform this technique again, I will drill down a deeper section to begin with. This was my first attempt and involved 3 to 4 inch depth. Next time I would try 6 inch depth overall. I would want to allow for some cut back as it heals to transition the new apex which can use up half the depth.
One needs to have confidence that once the apical sacrifice is cut back to the new top, back budding will fill in the top. With spruce this is a good bet!.
IMG_1397.JPG

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Here is a wedge cut on a deciduous to promote healing a gigantic wound (trident)
93A85672-429B-460B-8BE0-5EC0860DE974.jpeg8EAB844D-AE1E-4E91-B1A1-8D5377E28A29.jpeg
Also using it to as insurance against die back while I develop a new leader.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this is a V cut on a maple i used to create better taper on the trunk, to reduce a sub trunk to more of a branch and thus reducing the volume of heavy wood at the crotch...
20210522_110448.jpg

theres a progression somewhere..
Acer katsura project 1

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wedgy in nature. branch snapped and still living, attached by live tissue and supported by the ground. im going to try this

Attachments

• 20210721_141319.jpg
    20210721_141319.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210721_141407.jpg
    20210721_141407.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210721_141345.jpg
    20210721_141345.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 29

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Will baddely did this on an Elm some time ago, broke the branch and rooted it into soil

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1626941294883.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626941294883.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
  • FB_IMG_1626941298687.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626941298687.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 32
  • FB_IMG_1626941304881.jpg
    FB_IMG_1626941304881.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 43

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please could someone explain what a wedge cut is, its purpose, and post any pics if you have them? Can't find any good resources on this.

Thanks!
On Bonsai Mirai Live Ryan has a live stream (2 parts/4 hrs) on "advanced bending" and shows/explains doing this very well. Recommended highly☺️.

Top Bottom