Wee trees

MacSpook

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found some wee trees on the roof where I work

01.JPG

The biggest one is about 6 inches tall and the others average 3 - 4 inch. I have no idea of the species but they look deciduous.

02.JPG

Some of them have a nice flare where the roots disappear under the non-slip mats.

04.JPG

I tried lifting one and it came free without damaging the roots

07.JPG

I'm thinking some of these might make a nice small forest just for fun to see what happens. I'm looking for suggestions on planting media to give them the best chance.

Mac

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice! I love seedling adoption!

Those.. have pretty short internodes! Score!

What soils/substrates do you have on HAND.. at this point, if developing individual specimens, I would pot into something that facilitates Fast..long root growth.. but avoids wet roots..

If looking to start forest plantings.. (I'd recommend positively ID'ing first) You could plant them into a more even, coarsER substrate.

they look deciduous.
Hehe! Well I'd certainly HOPE so.

😂😂

(Just rustlin' yer spuds)

MacSpook

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll consider my spuds rustled then.... o_O.

I have ericaceous compost, houseplant compost, pumice, horticultural grit, vermiculite, pine bark chips and errmmm...... dirt.
So do you reckon individual pots until recovered and ID'd?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm guessing sycamore. They get everywhere and root in almost nothing. Little buggers! Maybe birch.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll consider my spuds rustled then.... o_O.

I have ericaceous compost, houseplant compost, pumice, horticultural grit, vermiculite, pine bark chips and errmmm...... dirt.
So do you reckon individual pots until recovered and ID'd?
Oh not necessarily... Whatever is best for your space and care routine..

I, personally, like large, deep, tray-growing for larger amounts of seedlings in this age range.

Whatever soil mix you make.(. I don't recommend using those composts IN your mixes until you can verify stability OF composting.. and even then.. I'm not a fan of using it IN the substrate.... unless IN-GROUND. ;)) just sift it so the fines are out... at this point, if you are growing'em'out r'lettin em' rahp...
Das Gonnae be yoor mwost empert'nt theng.

;) ;) ;)

I LOVE Scottland!

😂😂

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My first thought was birch too but so many sticks look similar we'll need to wait for leaves to get a better idea. ID probably doesn't matter short term. Most deciduous will respond well to a general soil and similar treatment.
Don't worry too much about roots. Deciduous trees at that age are not fussy and can survive massive root reduction while dormant. When you pull them take the opportunity to prune roots to encourage an even spread. Cut longer roots shorter to encourage ramification and taper in the developing root system. Nebari doesn't just happen.

I like developing bonsai group plantings. You can make remarkably good groups from young and mediocre trees so group planting is definitely an option when you have a number of candidates, especially when there is a range of sizes. Starting a group does not always mean being locked in for ever. No problem rearranging trees or taking a group apart for the first few years. Even well established groups can be disassembled or altered with care.
Trees will definitely grow faster given more space for roots but fast growth is not always the best way to quality bonsai.

No one way is best. Try to work out what you would like to achieve with these trees and then look for a way to achieve it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love your accent but we don' all talk like Mel Gibson in Braveheart ;). I'm near Glasgow and it's more like Hooyoulookinet yabampot.
My foremost experience with the Scottish Dialect is Scottish sketch comedians. 😂

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Love your accent but we don' all talk like Mel Gibson in Braveheart ;). I'm near Glasgow and it's more like Hooyoulookinet yabampot.
I am supposedly descended from William Wallace's brother! I call him Uncle Braveheart. I'm sure 99% of Scotland is also related in some way, but still! 😁

MacSpook

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are hundreds of mature trees including sycamore, birch, oak, beech nearby and seeds could have been carried by wind or birds to where they are now. So it's anyone's guess to species at the moment.

I, personally, like large, deep, tray-growing for larger amounts of seedlings in this age range.
I don't have many pots or trays yet, I'm just starting out but I think I have a perfect tray for that. 👍

I like developing bonsai group plantings. You can make remarkably good groups from young and mediocre trees so group planting is definitely an option when you have a number of candidates, especially when there is a range of sizes.
I like this suggestion. I can start them in a tray and later select the best ones for a group.

MacSpook

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am supposedly descended from William Wallace's brother! I call him Uncle Braveheart. I'm sure 99% of Scotland is also related in some way, but still! 😁
I live about 4 miles from a village called Elderslie, William Wallace's birthplace. (allegedly)

Maybe we're cousins? 😃😃🤣

MacSpook

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And 'Limmy's Show' is like my second favorite sketch comedy show, on ANY soil.
I like Limmy a LOT. He has such a warped perspective on real life that you wouldn't see on TV.

Oh.... forgot this is a tree forum :D

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like Limmy a LOT. He has such a warped perspective on real life that you wouldn't see on TV.

Oh.... forgot this is a tree forum :D
Buuuut it's YOUR thread!

🤪🥸🤪

Yeah, Limmy, like HIMSELF.. how he thinks and rationalizes.. and expresses THAT would be HILARIOUS wherever he ended up being born...

For us.. it ADDS a layer of comedic gold, because the scottish accent is SO distinct.. and heavy.. that it makes QUOTING the show DOUBLY entertaining.

I was always curious if Scottish People enjoyed his humor or if they considered "Geared for bullshit American TV".. 😂😂😂

But yes... Trees!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Was your brother happy about it? I sorta kinda was hoping that might happen to me.
Actually yes. He never married and has no other children, so although it was quite a surprise, it was a good one. She is a really nice girl and actually lives only 6 miles from me. She had a terrible childhood, drug addict mom, raised by a step-dad she didn't like. Her mom lied to her about who her real dad was, because she didn't know. I think she is happy to be a part of a pretty "regular" family. Well, my brother is a little "out there" but my sister and I are pretty normal. 😇

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Actually yes. He never married and has no other children, so although it was quite a surprise, it was a good one. She is a really nice girl and actually lives only 6 miles from me. She had a terrible childhood, drug addict mom, raised by a step-dad she didn't like. Her mom lied to her about who her real dad was, because she didn't know. I think she is happy to be a part of a pretty "regular" family. Well, my brother is a little "out there" but my sister and I are pretty normal. 😇
Very cool! What a blessing!

Top Bottom