Weeds forever...

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Since I was a little kid I've disliked weeding. it's necessary I know, doesn't mean I like it. anyone else feel like much of their free time is spent weeding their trees? There is one little variety out here that looks like a small clover with a cute little yellow flower (when it blooms)...very invasive. I hate 'em lol...

Attachments

• 2014-05-06 16.11.25.jpg
    2014-05-06 16.11.25.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2014-05-06 16.11.35.jpg
    2014-05-06 16.11.35.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2014-05-06 16.12.10.jpg
    2014-05-06 16.12.10.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014-05-06 18.20.17.jpg
    2014-05-06 18.20.17.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2014-05-06 16.11.14.jpg
    2014-05-06 16.11.14.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 77

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it makes you feel any better: numerous weeds means you're using good soil.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That looks like oxalis, I have been battling it too. I don't think I'll ever be rid of it for it seems to sprout out of thin air, in new soil. Good luck!

John

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I find myself extracting the invasive weeds weekly from my pots when they pop up.

Just goes with the territory I think, not much you can do but grab and yank them out.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That looks like oxalis, I have been battling it too. I don't think I'll ever be rid of it for it seems to sprout out of thin air, in new soil.

Their "pods" explode like grenades when the seeds are ready and can distribute them for long distances. I used to play with those...looking for a ripe pod to trigger by touching it. Seeds have a sticky outer layer too and will stick on almost anything. LOL

Luckily, I have a handle on mine. They are removed as soon as they emerge. I am keeping a few weeds that strike my fancy or curiosity though. Only ones I can't control are the few in my lawn (if you can call it that) :rolleyes: :p

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Their "pods" explode like grenades when the seeds are ready and can distribute them for long distances. I used to play with those...looking for a ripe pod to trigger by touching it. Seeds have a sticky outer layer too and will stick on almost anything. LOL

Luckily, I have a handle on mine. They are removed as soon as they emerge. I am keeping a few weeds that strike my fancy or curiosity though. Only ones I can't control are the few in my lawn (if you can call it that) :rolleyes: :p

Those "pods" are bizarre...they burst open when you touch them. The roots are long and go straight down like a carrot.
Dario...you have A LOT of trees...how can you possibly keep them under control? Lol!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I dont have any weeds in my pots...Every time I water...I just remove one weed...It is easier to remove weeds when young than when large...dont allow them to go to seed and soon you will have no new weeds at all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hate sagina moss... really.

I am actually going to use very carefully applied round up this year on it. I hate it that much. And before people freak out... I know how to use it... so no, I won't be killing my trees. lol

V

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hate sagina moss... really.

I am actually going to use very carefully applied round up this year on it. I hate it that much. And before people freak out... I know how to use it... so no, I won't be killing my trees. lol

V

You care to explain how you're going to use it?? I'm having one sided conversations with this stuff now. If people heard me talking while I was weeding my trees, they'd think I was nuts...I need help... lol

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those "pods" are bizarre...they burst open when you touch them. The roots are long and go straight down like a carrot.
Dario...you have A LOT of trees...how can you possibly keep them under control? Lol!

I dont have any weeds in my pots...Every time I water...I just remove one weed...It is easier to remove weeds when young than when large...dont allow them to go to seed and soon you will have no new weeds at all.

See Neli's response, I do the same. Pluck them as I see them. ;) Once you got them down...it is easy. If they reach seeding maturity, you are in trouble.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do not often see any weeds in pots but I take them out with tweezers when I do and get as much as I can out. I do however find random Oaks, Maples, and other trees. Guessing that is Squirrels but they do not seem to do any damage.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I leave some in the pines that I own. When the weeds start drooping it's time to water.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do not often see any weeds in pots but I take them out with tweezers when I do and get as much as I can out. I do however find random Oaks, Maples, and other trees. Guessing that is Squirrels but they do not seem to do any damage.

Grimmy

Take them out ASAP...you do not want their roots intertwining with your bonsai roots! ;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Take them out ASAP...you do not want their roots intertwining with your bonsai roots! ;)

Yes I do! I meant to say the Squirrels do not to seem to do any damage:p

Grimmy

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Squirrels plant acorn in my pots so I always have oaks coming up. Bare rooting deciduous trees is the best way to get rid of weeds.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I leave some in the pines that I own. When the weeds start drooping it's time to water.

I think I need to try that...My biggest problem so far is overwatering...my gardener just waters in a frenzy.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Squirrels plant acorn in my pots so I always have oaks coming up. Bare rooting deciduous trees is the best way to get rid of weeds.

Squirrels were ripping the bark off my Sweetgum last year, now I'm finding buried pinecones...not sure what to make of that, just glad they're leaving the bark alone, lol.
I agree on the bare rooting...but the weed Dario referred to is the one I'm having to stay on top of...when those pods burst, they can infect a clean pot. Doesn't take long!

Top Bottom