Weekend at Eisei-en

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very cool Brian. Would love to just step foot in an incredible nursery on that level. And your probably right on the One seed juniper label. It’s my understanding he’s got several collected from New Mexico, including the monster he’s got growing in a wood box. One seed, Juniperus Monosperma, makes up 3/4 of the vegetation throughout New Mexico (or some ridiculous percentage there abouts). Thanks for taking time to post and share some pics.
This one? It is an absolute beast. This is an 8’ fence behind it.
96126148-90A5-4CBD-A183-E5D673DEAE14.jpeg
Looking good, Brian.... both the trees and you! How much weight did you lose?
Thanks, 55 pounds, between 12/1/18 and 3/31/19. So far, keeping it off too.
How often do you go there? (Or plan to?)
His courses are 3 days, 3 times a year, for 3 years.
Is the plan to eventually completely Jin the low hanging branch and grow out others higher up to compensate?

Great trees but I'm not sure about the red shirt with check shorts combo - the mullet is pretty fly though :)
If this is about the RMJ, sort of...it will be shortened, but not jinned. The overall profile will be smaller, but we are taking it slow. Incidentally, I am the one in the blue shirt, no mullet.😜

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one? It is an absolute beast. This is an 8’ fence behind it.
View attachment 246815

Thanks, 55 pounds, between 12/1/18 and 3/31/19. So far, keeping it off too.

His courses are 3 days, 3 times a year, for 3 years.

If this is about the RMJ, sort of...it will be shortened, but not jinned. The overall profile will be smaller, but we are taking it slow. Incidentally, I am the one in the blue shirt, no mullet.😜
Bjorn’s program sounds a lot like Boon’s. Boon’s is also 3 years, 3 times a year, with an additional “winter 4” class where he teaches show prep.

Off topic:

Congratulations on the weight loss! Good to hear you’re keeping it off, too. I’ve started a Keri diet, lost 16 lbs so far in about 6 weeks. While I can’t say I look that much better in the mirror, I can tell my clothes are looser.

Back on topic:

Do you take your own trees with you when you go to Bjorn’s?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes that one. The pictures make it look huge and I’m sure it’s even bigger in person. I’m glad to see him using one seed as a bonsai stock and being able to keep a high desert species thriving and alive. Untapped cultivar of Juniper through Bonsai IMHO.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bjorn’s program sounds a lot like Boon’s. Boon’s is also 3 years, 3 times a year, with an additional “winter 4” class where he teaches show prep.

Off topic:

Congratulations on the weight loss! Good to hear you’re keeping it off, too. I’ve started a Keri diet, lost 16 lbs so far in about 6 weeks. While I can’t say I look that much better in the mirror, I can tell my clothes are looser.

Back on topic:

Do you take your own trees with you when you go to Bjorn’s?
Good for you. I am a creature of habit, and when I settled into a menu that worked, I easily stuck with it. It gets tougher when traveling, but I have found places and items on the menu that work. I did a program called Ideal Protein, basically a clean Keto diet, which was really restricted. No starch, grains, sugars, low fat, no fruit, juice, booze, or even veggies like carrots, beets, legumes, and tomatoes. I’ve relaxed a bit on the veggies since, but with exercise, I’m maintaining.

I have had to have 4 suits altered, dumped 5 trash bags of clothes at consignment and Salvation Army, and gradually bought a whole new wardrobe, which is expensive but rewarding. Kinda like a new Shimpaku, but not as fun.😜

Back on topic, yes. As little time as I have to work on trees, they (selfishly) need to be mine. And since it’s just a 3-hour drive door to door, it’s relatively easy to load up the car. Bjorn has plenty of material to work on, and he is not at all reserved about setting a $10k tree in front of a newbie and putting them to work on whatever task needs to be performed.

I’d rather work on JBP and Shimpaku than Pondys and RMJs, but he is intently focused on native species. The longer I keep RMJ surviving my climate, the more tempted I’ll be to buy one. Though I prefer the Japanese varieties.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good for you. I am a creature of habit, and when I settled into a menu that worked, I easily stuck with it. It gets tougher when traveling, but I have found places and items on the menu that work. I did a program called Ideal Protein, basically a clean Keto diet, which was really restricted. No starch, grains, sugars, low fat, no fruit, juice, booze, or even veggies like carrots, beets, legumes, and tomatoes. I’ve relaxed a bit on the veggies since, but with exercise, I’m maintaining.

I have had to have 4 suits altered, dumped 5 trash bags of clothes at consignment and Salvation Army, and gradually bought a whole new wardrobe, which is expensive but rewarding. Kinda like a new Shimpaku, but not as fun.😜

Back on topic, yes. As little time as I have to work on trees, they (selfishly) need to be mine. And since it’s just a 3-hour drive door to door, it’s relatively easy to load up the car. Bjorn has plenty of material to work on, and he is not at all reserved about setting a $10k tree in front of a newbie and putting them to work on whatever task needs to be performed.

I’d rather work on JBP and Shimpaku than Pondys and RMJs, but he is intently focused on native species. The longer I keep RMJ surviving my climate, the more tempted I’ll be to buy one. Though I prefer the Japanese varieties.
Lol!!! Your experience at Bjorn’s sounds like me at Boon’s! I, too, prefer the Japanese species. Nothing against RMJ, but our humidity makes them susceptible to all kinds of diseases they don’t get in dryer climates. I’ve had no luck with Pondys.

I will have to say, however, that I’ve been having great luck with JWP. Back in the day before studying with Boon, I used to kill them. Now, they thrive for me. Even better than at Boon’s! I believe it’s the soil. The Boon Mix.

I’ll look into your diet. Sounds very similiar to what I’m doing, eliminating carbs. But, instead, I eat fats.

Will you be at the National Shohin Show this year?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Will you be at the National Shohin Show this year?
No, as much as I’d like to get there we are already booked for the weekend. The next show I’ll turn my attention toward will be Nationals next year. Last winter beat up my JBP and I ended up withdrawing, even after Bill encouraged me to bring it anyway. I’ve showed in 3, 4, and 5, and hated to miss it. Next year maybe it will be ready. Everything but the main tree was spot-on. It takes a lot of work to get everything peaking at just the right time.

Top Bottom