Weekend fun with shimpaku

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
update

IMG_6566_zps27c11965.jpg

Personally I believe that you have let the left side of the tree get a little bit away from you. The form it has now looks like it might tip over due to it's own weight.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually I can see that tree being part of a monumental Penjing planting as it is. Very nice to view as is though :D

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally I believe that you have let the left side of the tree get a little bit away from you.

I agree with Vance and feel it need "refreshing" now.

Great progression and hope to see more like it. Thanks! :)

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
LOvely tree!
But like some say it's foliage is a bit to much for the long slim trunk.
It really can use a clean up.
Also try to follow the trunklines movement with your branch positioning and foliage pads this will definitely balance the composition. Maybe even tilt it to the right more.

A japanese master I met told me that with junipers nothing is as important as to look for the trees character and movement.
So no nebari, twisted branches it doesn't matter as long as eveything follows the flow of the tree.
Nevertheless Nice tree and I really like the shallow pot on it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
coming along nicely

IMG_7337.jpg

This silhouette should be preserved as opposed to being allowed to grow out into a more globular silhouette. This is just my opinion and nothing more. You always do good work and this is just my preference.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Agree the tree is overgrown which was mostly done for keep it healthy. Currently working on getting it wired. I am about halfway there. Stay tuned?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's the tree all wired up and receiving critique by Ted Matson. (Picture by ST of BSOP)

Last edited:

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
That tree progressed pretty well I must say!
Only thing that bothers me when I look at it is that it seems a little too top heavy for it's thin trunk.
If going for a literati in this case I would say less is more.
Too many branches and foliage give the long slender tree a bit of a unbalanced look.
Also branches should follow compliment movement of the trunk.
But it's only my opinion.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
I noticed me commenting twice and saying almost the same.
No disrespect meant there.
Maybe it's easier to explain what I mean without words. I drew one of the many options for you, that's what I do with my own trees too.
By the way I tilted the tree to the right. And don't mind the pot it just needed something under it. ;)
Hope you like it.

virt shimp.jpg

Oh I noticed something not clear in my drawing movement is to the left and so should the apex be.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Maybe it's easier to explain what I mean without words. I drew one of the many options for you, that's what I do with my own trees too.
By the way I tilted the tree to the right. And don't mind the pot it just needed something under it. ;)
Hope you like it.

View attachment 45137

Oh I noticed something not clear in my drawing movement is to the left and so should the apex be.

Awesome sketch!

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hope you like it.

View attachment 45137

Thanks for the awesome drawing. You've really caught all the details in the trunk. Problem though is that the tree doesn't have a strong branch on the left side to be the character branch (drop branch). I'll have to take a picture from the front to demonstrate it.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
yea that sketch is awesome ChrisV, the sketch shows the potential for layers to increase the size of the tree. Not literally of course, but through the technique of layering pads, ChrisV sketch tree looks far far taller than yours.

and I definitely feel like that apex feels way to heavy for that thickness of a trunk, for any style, but most especially for a literati.

Either way, it is still a really cool tree and has come far, I love looking at these progression. It is a guilty pleasure of mine, and satisfies the Bald Eagle in me that likes seeing things progress at the speed of light!

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome drawing. You've really caught all the details in the trunk. Problem though is that the tree doesn't have a strong branch on the left side to be the character branch (drop branch). I'll have to take a picture from the front to demonstrate it.

I'm glad you like it. You can grow a branch longer ;) on The sketch it's The thickest on The left and 1 pad from one of The other branches. Because at the moment it looks like you have way to many on that Side.

Jmontee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off let me say that this is a beautiful tree. IMHO though there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the long flowing trunk and the lush long top of the tree. If you look at the top section and bottom section separately they look like two different trees. If it were mine I would remove the first right branch and maybe the first or second left branch (jins probably). I would then shorten the rest of the top to make it look like it has been struggling as much as the bottom portion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom