Weeping Barbados Cherry

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I recently bought this gorgeous weeping barbados cherry from a local nursery for an astounding 8 dollars. I was wondering, as this is considered a sub-tropical tree, is it capable of growing year-round or does it need something similar to a dormant/rest period? When I brought it home, it was rather cold outside, so I've kept it inside in a mini greenhouse. After putting it in there, the growth started exploding. All the new growth seen in the pictures has grown over the past 4-5 weeks. I guess my question is would it be healthy for the tree to grow like this year-round? Also, if anyone would have any styling tips for this particular tree, it would be greatly appreciated. I've outlined the main trunk structure as it's rather hard to see due to all the new foliage growth on it.20171106_164205.jpg 20171106_164205 copy.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Others may know more, but I’m quite certain it would be happy to grow like that year round. They tend to be viney, with thin trunks. Getting it to thicken is probably your biggest challenge. If you let them grow you will get charming little pink petalled flowers with yellow centers that smell like laundry detergent perfume. Enjoy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a kind of decent one. It's one of the few things that didn't drop most of it's leaves in protest, when brought in for the winter. It grows fine inside for the winter, but really goes crazy with growth outside when it's time to go out. Once it starts blooming, it blooms profusely, for a long time. Never noticed the laundry soap smell, lol. I don't have a ton of experience with them, but if the weeping branches get too leggy, they sometimes lose leaves at the base of the branches. When trimmed back, they will quickly put on two new leaves, where cut. But please defer to those that may have more experience. Yours looks nice and healthy, enjoy those flowers.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mashu,

that used to be known as Malpighia pendiculata
http://bonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/2008/10/weeping-malpighia.html

Not quite the West Indian or Barbados ------ cherry
Malpighia emarginata.

There are excellent examples over in the East Indies.
Especially Taiwan.

Also not sure if that fruit is edible.
Good Day
Anthony

Here is an image of the West Indian Cherry.
Edible fruit - 1/4 pound gives enough vitamin c for a month

west indian cherry 1 IBC.jpg

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forum, i'll leave it to more knowlegable people to answer any questions :)

Top Bottom