Weeping golden boxwood

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Buxus sempervirens ‘Aurea pendula’.
One of those “nobody wants it” marked down trees at the nursery.
It was severely root bound. I did some pruning and a lot of root reduction. Then put the tree into a new pot with pre-mixed bonsai soil, pumice, and lava rock.

For a front I chose to emphasize the movement and bark in the larger trunk. This view obscures the second trunk and makes the base appear narrower. The other front option would show the two trunks side by side with a ‘daughter’ trunk between them.

Attachments

• D3D9FD5B-6DD8-420F-8850-8A95CC15990C.jpeg
    D3D9FD5B-6DD8-420F-8850-8A95CC15990C.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 718DD0FF-3554-435A-9457-876C2449E581.jpeg
    718DD0FF-3554-435A-9457-876C2449E581.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 3A88CD29-EDD1-49C0-A246-250046189101.jpeg
    3A88CD29-EDD1-49C0-A246-250046189101.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 9F2E0E1C-D7AB-406E-A71C-CD428ABAFD65.jpeg
    9F2E0E1C-D7AB-406E-A71C-CD428ABAFD65.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 96
  • B5DE1DE5-1BCE-4EC3-A9D8-0B3F1B546F5A.jpeg
    B5DE1DE5-1BCE-4EC3-A9D8-0B3F1B546F5A.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 3FC69620-D31C-4034-B05B-9A4AC73C1487.jpeg
    3FC69620-D31C-4034-B05B-9A4AC73C1487.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 100

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is pretty nice.

I don't know that I woulda worked it so fast.

I think we tend to keep this idea backwards in our heads.....this where, "nobody wants it", kinda keeps us in a state of, "oh it was cheap", so we treat it as such and don't get the most out of it.
When these are the ones we should take great care with.

Sorce

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How in the hell do you people find stuff like this? 🙄 That's 1 light pruning away from being pre-bonsai already, the only boxwoods I can find are ugly shrubby things with 50 trunks. Looks great though 👍

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find in the bargain bin. Boxwood can take a lot of punishment. You did a great job reducing the roots on this out of the container. Most are too timid to take a saw to two thirds of the root mass. I do similar work on my boxwoods at repotting time. Never had an issue.

As for the trunk on this one, you've got two nice choices. I don't know which one I'd select as the primary, but one needs to be subordinate to the other. The "front" view you show, is the best path. As the other trunk is mostly hidden behind the main one in that view, I'd consider removing the hidden one completely...

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its
This is pretty nice.

I think we tend to keep this idea backwards in our heads.....this where, "nobody wants it", kinda keeps us in a state of, "oh it was cheap", so we treat it as such and don't get the most out of it.

Sorce
True. The cheap ones definitely produce a different mentality. I’m guilty.
After reading how hardy boxwoods are and scoping out the root situation I decided to jump in. Are “emergency repots” ever justifiable in severe root bind cases?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How in the hell do you people find stuff like this? 🙄 That's 1 light pruning away from being pre-bonsai already, the only boxwoods I can find are ugly shrubby things with 50 trunks. Looks great though 👍
Thanks. I spend way too much time walking around plant nurseries, looking and learning what has potential. It helps that there’s 5 within a 10 minute driving radius…

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is pretty nice.

Sorce
Interesting thought. I see it as “it was cheap, so I can do some experimental stuff and if what I did was too much, well, it was a few bucks”

I’d assume people would be less apprehensive working dirt cheap material. If you kill it, you’re out a few bucks rather than $20 or $50+ (and would’ve been very apprehensive doing much)

In the end, you learn how aggressive you can be on some species, so you don’t kill the more expensive things or material you’ve had for a long time

That’s how I see it anyway. I’ll be careful with my $20 boxwood and go hog wild of my $2 boxwood

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice find in the bargain bin. Boxwood can take a lot of punishment. You did a great job reducing the roots on this out of the container. Most are too timid to take a saw to two thirds of the root mass. I do similar work on my boxwoods at repotting time. Never had an issue.

As for the trunk on this one, you've got two nice choices. I don't know which one I'd select as the primary, but one needs to be subordinate to the other. The "front" view you show, is the best path. As the other trunk is mostly hidden behind the main one in that view, I'd consider removing the hidden one completely...
Thanks.
Given that I took so much root mass off, do you think I should remove some foliage as well to balance things out?

As far as removing the other trunk or any heavy pruning goes, is that best left for spring pre bud burst?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I like the way you pruned it. Am sure you'll have lots of new options in another 9 months but I like it. Hope it does well for you.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.
Given that I took so much root mass off, do you think I should remove some foliage as well to balance things out?

As far as removing the other trunk or any heavy pruning goes, is that best left for spring pre bud burst?
You could take some top off, but the "balance" thing is mostly a myth. Foliage will drive new roots.

As far as heavy pruning, unless you have brutal winters, it shouldn't be a problem.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are “emergency repots” ever justifiable in severe root bind cases?

We....🤔..... Tend to give the term "emergency" too much power as a society.

So much so that we can't even see when things aren't an emergency at all.

Sorce

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We....🤔..... Tend to give the term "emergency" too much power as a society.

So much so that we can't even see when things aren't an emergency at all.

Sorce
I see what you’re saying. Being root bound won’t kill a tree over winter dormancy (I think).
It wasn’t so much of an emergency as it was an excuse to play with my new pet.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After a rough ‘21-‘22 winter, the tree was left alone to recover during the ‘22 grow season.
Recovery was slow at first but eventually shoots emerged all along the trunks and vigor returned.

2/4/23: Some branches were removed to enhance the design. Others were wired and/or thinned.

I actively tried to apply concepts from Principles of Bonsai Design (DeGroot) and advice on this forum.
- Harmony in the branch and trunk angles and directional changes.
- Proportions: branches get progressively shorter/smaller away from the base
- Flow towards the right which pulls the tree off balance.
- Repeating patterns (repose) with a few tension elements.

I’m thinking of removing the long skinny branch on the right that emerges from low down on the rear trunk. Not sure, I like the way it flows parallel to the branch above it…
Additionally, the straight section at the top of the main trunk may get reduced..

1675576326934.jpeg

With lower branch removal and shortening top left branch.

1675577587561.jpeg

Top Bottom