Weeping pussy willow

Kmbruno418

Seed
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 weeping pussy willows and they have done well until now. The new leaves are turning brown and I think they may need to be repotted. The roots are very dense.
I would appreciate any and all information on how to.
IMG_20220312_094650318.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you attempting to keep these plants inside? If so, that is your problem.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I've seen them in the nurserys, they are grafted into those cylindrical stick trunks, also that kind of willow I think unlike others and doesnt root from cuttings easy so dont know if they would airlayer

Kmbruno418

Seed
Reaction score
Outside in containers, I read they do not like the heat that we get here in Florida so I will need for them to be mobile inside and outside

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pussy willow is like other willows and does not like to get dry. I would try sitting the pots in water through hot weather to make sure they stay hydrated.
Most willows grow profuse roots. I have seen advice to repot twice a year which would mean repotting at least once with leaves on? Most willows seem to be strong growers and can probably cope with that. I have not had to do that so I've only ever repotted in spring before leaves come out.
If you are not game to do a full repot now that these have leaves I would slip pot into larger pots with appropriate tease out for the existing roots.
Do not try to keep willows indoors. They need plenty of light so outdoors is best.

Kmbruno418

Seed
Reaction score
Pussy willow is like other willows and does not like to get dry. I would try sitting the pots in water through hot weather to make sure they stay hydrated.
Most willows grow profuse roots. I have seen advice to repot twice a year which would mean repotting at least once with leaves on? Most willows seem to be strong growers and can probably cope with that. I have not had to do that so I've only ever repotted in spring before leaves come out.
If you are not game to do a full repot now that these have leaves I would slip pot into larger pots with appropriate tease out for the existing roots.
Do not try to keep willows indoors. They need plenty of light so outdoors is best.
The roots are dense, I can lift the plants out of their pots and there is no soil except for what's in the center. The top of the soil is like coir fibers. They are outside and dry up fast, I think I need to report them with leaves on.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My dormant Salix Exigua grew escape roots INTO an icy crack over the winter..

I see the white willows of the area.. living on beaches... trying to layer themselves at the high water mark...

They cannot have too much water.... as long as your substrate is decent...

If you're in Florida.. I'd honestly have my containers partially submerged.. I do it.. HERE..

😂

Pussy Willow is VERY cool... especially when they start hybridizing with more "standard" Salixs... You get some.. "What the HECK is THAT tree?"

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
, I read they do not like the heat that we get here in Florida
...I have to comment on this..

I tried to do similar things... Grow trees NOT zoned to my area.. It's fun... But... VERY few survived (for more than 2 years).. for ME.

It's sad when you realize "Everyone can't grow everything."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They cannot have too much water.... as long as your substrate is decent...

If you're in Florida.. I'd honestly have my containers partially submerged.. I do it.. HERE..
Good to know! I scored a really cheap rooted cutting at the tail end of the Farmer's Market last year and handn't put much thought into caring for it yet. Thank you Wiscobuddy!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good to know! I scored a really cheap rooted cutting at the tail end of the Farmer's Market last year and handn't put much thought into caring for it yet. Thank you Wiscobuddy!
It's funny... how my ORIGINAL Salix Exigua came into my possession..

We were at "Hidden Alcove Beach" (My kids named it 😂) Near Two Creeks, WI...

And my Oldest Son accidentally snapped a branch off of a "Beach" Tree, using it to "swing" down from a bluff. When it was time to go, he thrust it into the sand by our alcove...

We returned to that spot roughly a month later... aaaand it was "a tree".

🤓

Sital

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As a few others have said, I'd keep the pots in water. I do this with my willow year round, even in winter here when it's dormant. The amount of roots they grow is crazy.

Top Bottom