Weeping Ryusen Maple...winter was harsh

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks to @thumblessprimate1 pushing me into dealing with that dead stump tip, the tree has had since collection.

As well to @MACH5 ensuring me now was the time to do it.

Bench section it's on is a bit over four foot. At 50" long...for size reference.
IMG_20200307_143038257.jpgIMG_20200307_143336057.jpgIMG_20200307_145244018~4.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Final cut...Vin got the ball rolling. I had considered it. But was thinking I didn't allow enough time for the other vision to come to fruition. But I still ended up using part I grew out for the new apex I will grow to curve as the top.

Appreciation to Sergio and Mr Valavanis for also adding input. Again a special thanks to Mr. Valavanis for helping get the details of apex and more in-depth pruning taken care of.

IMG_20200309_102825596~2.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jealous. It's really pretty and love the waterfall.
Ahhh thanks. For YEARS...I worried the kids would face plant running down the hill and fall onto the cement corner back patio that we've had since we lived here. Thankfully that never happened. But this is much nicer for sure. Level back yard. Flat back patio that is flagstone. Room to socialize when it was permitted. Lol now it's our Oasis in this crazy Covid world we are living.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste just out of curiosity, why is this thread in the tea house forum?
When this post was created... I was in bonsai less than a year. I had not a clue really what I was doing. This was my landscape tree which has significant dieback. 😉

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Darlene,
Your Ryusen weeping Japanese maple inspired me last spring. So I went to a local garden center and found a few, selected the best specimen and took it home. Only cost about $75 in a 3 gal. can. Took it home, pruned it some and potted it directly into a bonsai training pot. Very little trimming was done last summer.

This spring I did a little pruning and basic wiring. It leafed out and became a bush. So I trimmed it back today. Most shoots were trimmed back to only one set of leaves. A few larger leaves were also removed. The lowest cascade branch was not trimmed because I want it to get thicker and longer. Then, next spring I'll cut it back.
RYUSEN 4 2020.JPG
April 2020

RYUSEN 2.JPG
Loose basic wiring so not to break branches. Some of the wire is just beginning to get tight and must be removed in about a week to avoid scaring of the bark.

RYUSEN 3.JPG
I needed to raise a branch so took a discarded pruned branch to use as a crutch. This is a common technique I use because the bark color and texture matches the bonsai. Note the top end of the branch crutch has a "Y" formation. If crutches do not have a "Y" formation simply use a concave pruner and make a cut to match the shape of the trunk or branch.RYUSEN 4 2020.JPGRYUSEN 2.JPGRYUSEN 3.JPGRYUSEN 4.JPGRYUSEN 6 2020.JPGIMG_6616.JPGIMG_6618.JPG

Top Bottom