Weeping Ryusen Maple...winter was harsh

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for sharing your lovely tree @William N. Valavanis ! You sure did fine an amazing specimen to start with. Also thank you for explaining cutting it back. I've a shaggy bush as well. I know you spoke of helping me take mine next spring in check. Pondering just how far to cut it back. if I will cut it back as drastically. Since you did leave the bottom alone. But I have seen sections that don't aren't needed...that have grown wild. I assume those ones which are wrong placed branches can be removed. Or trimmed back to one leaf to help fill in the tree.

Lovely tree again sir! Well done...thanks for sharing. Those fall colors are stellar on this cultivar.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I suggest cutting the entire tree back to one or two nodes. Remove branches which are in poor locations entirely. Allow branches to run without trimming if you want to elongate or thicken. Good luck, I'm watching your progression as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I suggest cutting the entire tree back to one or two nodes. Remove branches which are in poor locations entirely. Allow branches to run without trimming if you want to elongate or thicken. Good luck, I'm watching your progression as well.
Thank you sir! For your solid direction. Much appreciated. <3

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does this species only weep?
I have a larger maple that seems to have predominantly drooping branches. It is not grafted and has an upright trunk however, so I am wondering what is going on?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When this post was created... I was in bonsai less than a year. I had not a clue really what I was doing. This was my landscape tree which has significant dieback. 😉
I would be nice if @Bonsai Nut could move this to the appropriate forum, so all can see the progression, as I know I rarely visit the tea house. It is lovely Darlene!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would be nice if @Bonsai Nut could move this to the appropriate forum, so all can see the progression, as I know I rarely visit the tea house. It is lovely Darlene!
Thanks Judy! This was early in my journey. I had no idea where to put it back then. It was a desimated landscape tree I began with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When I first saw Darlens Ryusen Weeping Japanese maple I wanted to purchase it. She did not want to part with her special tree. So, I went to a local nursery and purchased this specimen for $75.

Have been training it for two growing seasons, studying the growth characteristics. Here is what it looks like this week.RYUSEN 2.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When I first saw Darlens Ryusen Weeping Japanese maple I wanted to purchase it. She did not want to part with her special tree. So, I went to a local nursery and purchased this specimen for $75.

Have been training it for two growing seasons, studying the growth characteristics. Here is what it looks like this week.View attachment 338560
What an honor though for me Mr. Valavanis...that it peaked your interest. Which just adds to its special place in my heart for it.

Absolutely love the specimen you are training. Love that you found one for yourself. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Ryusen is out enjoying bench/sun time as the buds are starting to move and our extended forecast seems good. Will shuffle at bedtime. Typically I would leave in the greenhouse until its moved more. Today I'm outside enjoying a few trees out. Shame on me.
Screenshot_20210309-132118_Gallery.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Darlene,
Your Ryusen weeping Japanese maple inspired me last spring. So I went to a local garden center and found a few, selected the best specimen and took it home. Only cost about $75 in a 3 gal. can. Took it home, pruned it some and potted it directly into a bonsai training pot. Very little trimming was done last summer.

This spring I did a little pruning and basic wiring. It leafed out and became a bush. So I trimmed it back today. Most shoots were trimmed back to only one set of leaves. A few larger leaves were also removed. The lowest cascade branch was not trimmed because I want it to get thicker and longer. Then, next spring I'll cut it back.
View attachment 306972
April 2020

View attachment 306973
Loose basic wiring so not to break branches. Some of the wire is just beginning to get tight and must be removed in about a week to avoid scaring of the bark.

View attachment 306975
I needed to raise a branch so took a discarded pruned branch to use as a crutch. This is a common technique I use because the bark color and texture matches the bonsai. Note the top end of the branch crutch has a "Y" formation. If crutches do not have a "Y" formation simply use a concave pruner and make a cut to match the shape of the trunk or branch.View attachment 306972View attachment 306973View attachment 306975View attachment 306977View attachment 306980View attachment 306981View attachment 306982
Any updates on this one?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Ryusen is out enjoying bench/sun time as the buds are starting to move and our extended forecast seems good. Will shuffle at bedtime. Typically I would leave in the greenhouse until its moved more. Today I'm outside enjoying a few trees out. Shame on me.
View attachment 359470
Lookin good!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am becoming more interested in maples now that I have a yard to work in. Thank you for sharing your updates.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mine is not a bonsai, and it flowers every year. I have over a hundred seedlings, 30 or so of them in small pots, a few dozens sent to friends in the E.U., and others still in a growbed.

And I think I will have more this season. Of course, not all seedlings have the characteristics of the mother plant, but most of them show some sign of it. So, saw the seeds...

acerp-ryusen_201114a.jpg acerp-ryusen-sem20_210221a.jpg acerp-ryusen_210328a.jpg

Top Bottom