Weeping Willow Cutting in Self Watering Pots?

kamai966

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been successful thus far with my weeping willow cuttings. I have them indoors under artificial white grow light for 12 hours per day using an automatic watering system providing 4ml per day. They are rooting nicely and producing vigorous foliage. I am curious if anyone had some success using a self watering pot with a deep reservoir and wick? I could sacrifice one plant and revive it if needed. I saved the attached picture "weeping in sink" lol, they just had a fungicide treatment.

Attachments

• Weeping in Sink.jpeg
    Weeping in Sink.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 25

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to use those self watering pots with the big reservoir in the bottom quite a bit. The ones I used didn't need a wick. I've since switched mostly to grow bags for growing out.

Honestly, weeping willow will root in 100% water. They are often planted in low spots that get marshy to dry the ground out. I've rooted them in pots without any drainage. When they start to get dry, add a cup or three of water.

Most Salix are trivially easy to root from cuttings. Pussy willow is the only one I've tried that's reluctant to root from cuttings.

The interesting thing about weeping willow is that in nature they don't weep much until the branches get quite long and heavy. Under strong blue LEDs, phototropism can cause them to weep sooner. I had one under blurple lights that weeped noticably...but it didn't look natural nor at all in scale.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one in a self watering pot. I still soak it every day in the summer. As dingus mentioned, they can take 100% water. As long as the water isn't too stagnant.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Willows will grow in a toilet bowl you let them. By far one of the easiest species to root. They will also root from bigger cuttings and logs also, I’ve gotten 6inch+ logs to put off roots and shoots. Just put them in a 5 gallon bucket in about 6 inches of water and remember which end is up.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willows will grow in a toilet bowl you let them. By far one of the easiest species to root. They will also root from bigger cuttings and logs also, I’ve gotten 6inch+ logs to put off roots and shoots. Just put them in a 5 gallon bucket in about 6 inches of water and remember which end is up.

I believe willow are one of the few species where you don't even need to remember which end is up :)

I've split a branch lengthwise for a raft. I ran out of space/time and left that one behind when we last moved because it was young and easy to recreate when I want...but it had rooted in many spots along the length.

I meant to try putting a cutting upside down but never got around to it. I think certain elms may be bipolar too??

Most species are polar and you do need to remember which end is up :)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I believe willow are one of the few species where you don't even need to remember which end is up :)

I've split a branch lengthwise for a raft. I ran out of space/time and left that one behind when we last moved because it was young and easy to recreate when I want...but it had rooted in many spots along the length.

I meant to try putting a cutting upside down but never got around to it. I think certain elms may be bipolar too??

Most species are polar and you do need to remember which end is up :)
I learned something new tonight! 😁

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They even say water soaked with weeping willow can be used as a rooting hormone, but I'll stick to my Clonex and Hormex

Top Bottom