Weeping willow question

jadewtch

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I just thought I'd introduce myself since i'm pretty new to the community. I'm mostly a lurker but you may see me pop up and ask something now and again.

I've been having a great time reading all your posts and looking at all the pictures. I hope someday my bonsai will be as nice as all of yours.

I wanted to ask if anyone's ever tried making a bonsai from a weeping willow tree. I've got a couple branches i'm trying to root. They might all end up in my backyard, but a bonsai would be pretty neat.

d.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know they root pretty easily from cuttings. I've got cuttings up to the size of my wrist that have rooted and they can supposedly take root from even larger size cuttings. I don't know anything firsthand about their use as bonsai but I've read they are difficult. Our admin Bonsainut has one in training and may have more input for you.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
They are prone to dieback - and it seems to happen for no apparent reason. I have seen a nice one or two but both needed reworking often because of the loss of random branches.

Almost forgot - welcome!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Willows can root from thigh size. Stick it in a water barrel.
As for them as Bonsai they are pretty hard IMO to get to.And as Graydon said they do die back.
Welcome to Bnut!
Irene

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Willow

Hi
I tryed growing a weeping willow some years back from a cutting about 2inches thick x6inches long it rooted in about 4 weeks then died off before growing any branches
I came up with the Idea of rooting a cutting in water then poting in a training pot standing the pot in a deep saucer kept filled with water it worked fine branches were then pulled down and fixed in place with a strong elastic band the shape turned out great and the tree was fine untill last year when I was on Holliday for 2 weeks the wind knocked it over and the roots dried out in the hot sun

Barry
England zone 8

Bunjinent

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i'm new to the site as well.
Not only do they get die back, they rootbind themselves quickly, often needing to be replanted twice a year. Too much work for one plant. IMO.

-Wm

Top Bottom