Weeping Willow stump need advice

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this Weeping Willow stump off of e-bay and it seems to have a hollowed out hole in the middle is there anything I can do to make sure it does not rot. It is thriving and in bud but wandered if I should do something to ensure its survival. I will post some pics tomarrow!!! I do not see any rot on it but not sure? I think it is a really cool find!!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Couple options here. You could concave cutter whatever remaining dead material out and apply cut paste inside to any exposed flesh. The more drastic option I've seen is using some quick mix cement or other filler from a hardware store to fill the cavity and potentially allow the tree to roll growth over it in the long run.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this Weeping Willow stump off of e-bay and it seems to have a hollowed out hole in the middle is there anything I can do to make sure it does not rot. It is thriving and in bud but wandered if I should do something to ensure its survival. I will post some pics tomarrow!!! I do not see any rot on it but not sure? I think it is a really cool find!!!!
How big is stump? Does hole go clear through bottom:confused:. Difficult question! Willow very soft/rots easy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rhawes .............. Time for a chat!

It seems though I have become so fond of that Avapup, I never, at least not for your first 4 threads here, welcomed you to crazy.

Seems this is a problem because you are right smack dab center of this pie of insanity, so let's get this out the way....
Welcome to Crazy!

I came to this thread and bit my tongue about how Willows on Ebay is almost 100% scam, but then I went to your Elm thread and that prompted me to go exploring your history to learn YOUR version of Crazy and why it is keeping you back.

Seems you have amassed a collection of highly varied species from various places and are incorporating an outdoor greenhouse of sorts.

I reckon that's the problem, but it is compounding itself on you and unless you come out and admit, like @Fidur did in his addiction thread..lol...that you have an addiction that is raging out of control, you will not soon find success.

Our mission is to help you find success.
This instance is not about a tree....

It's about a YOU! 😉

I reckon they very well may be "super mites"!

When you amass a collection as you have, quite Roman like, with differing species from "all across the land", different pests and problems get imported along with. Made worse without quarantine, worse still enclosed in a greenhouse together.

I feel like each of your trees is in its own completely different pattern.

There should only be 2 patterns.
Tropical and Temperate.

It will be difficult to get all your varied plants into rythym, but it will be possible.
I would stop spraying.
Stop greenhousing.
Stop indooring.
Stop buying!

Full circle to Pup.

I think taking care of a dog is rather time consuming. This is akin to having one tree.

I feel like you have created a "zoo" of trees, that would be your version of Crazy, so this is OK and understood, but your frigging Monkeys are running through the neighborhood!

It will take time to simplify what is complex, you will find a cage for your monkeys, you will have less headaches, but you must know why it is happening.

Sorce

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sadly the world of bonsai has a very hefty contingent of scammers that prey on the inexperienced.

Willow cuttings are one of the worst offenders. Same with all fancy wisteria postings (they're not), fantastical maple seeds (they're not), and bonsai seed kits.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sadly the world of bonsai has a very hefty contingent of scammers that prey on the inexperienced.

Willow cuttings are one of the worst offenders. Same with all fancy wisteria postings (they're not), fantastical maple seeds (they're not), and bonsai seed kits.

I would add an asterisk, at least regarding the seed kits. I bought a seed kit along with a book (rife with bad advice) from a Scholastic thing when I was in fifth or sixth grade—some time in early middle school—and I successfully germinated a few juniper seeds. In September. I somehow got the idea that because they were evergreen trees, they didn't go dormant. Needless to say, they died because I kept them inside, but the following spring I noticed something. A little sprout identical to the one I had grown in a pot the previous fall, but growing outside. My dad recognized it as an eastern red cedar and said that they were similar to the juniper I was trying to grow previously. I put it in a pot, and it grew well all summer, but it failed when I brought it indoors in the winter. It was enough time for me to get excited about growing trees, though, so I picked up some more books, and by the end of seventh grade, I had started some real trees. Most died because I didn't understand that when the British talk about growing trees in "compost," it doesn't mean the same thing as my dad's pile of coffee grounds and banana peels in the backyard. Regardless, I had fun, and it brought me into the hobby. Now, as an adult, I'm more serious about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that those starter kits have their value. You just need to read the reviews to ensure you're getting viable seeds. And even if you're not getting decent seeds, you're still getting some tools and a pot for cheap. It was something like twelve bucks, and I got a small ceramic pot, a tiny, handheld spade, and two sizes of shears. It was a good deal on tools for a kid with a few dollars saved up, and you can pull any old tree seedling from a sidewalk crack and stick it in the pot.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah the willow has 0 heartwood, and yep it is rotted clear through the bottom. I think I should return it. Thanks for the wake-up call. I cannot see the willow living very long. I love willows though. It is a 20 year old stump and is about 9 inches tall I think. Oh and by the way a dog is time consuming especially when I consider that he was much better behaved as a puppy than an old timer. I love him to pieces, but he has lost his sight and hearing since that photo. And he literally cries for my dinner saddest sound. LOL

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would add an asterisk, at least regarding the seed kits. I bought a seed kit along with a book (rife with bad advice) from a Scholastic thing when I was in fifth or sixth grade—some time in early middle school—and I successfully germinated a few juniper seeds. In September. I somehow got the idea that because they were evergreen trees, they didn't go dormant. Needless to say, they died because I kept them inside, but the following spring I noticed something. A little sprout identical to the one I had grown in a pot the previous fall, but growing outside. My dad recognized it as an eastern red cedar and said that they were similar to the juniper I was trying to grow previously. I put it in a pot, and it grew well all summer, but it failed when I brought it indoors in the winter. It was enough time for me to get excited about growing trees, though, so I picked up some more books, and by the end of seventh grade, I had started some real trees. Most died because I didn't understand that when the British talk about growing trees in "compost," it doesn't mean the same thing as my dad's pile of coffee grounds and banana peels in the backyard. Regardless, I had fun, and it brought me into the hobby. Now, as an adult, I'm more serious about it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that those starter kits have their value. You just need to read the reviews to ensure you're getting viable seeds. And even if you're not getting decent seeds, you're still getting some tools and a pot for cheap. It was something like twelve bucks, and I got a small ceramic pot, a tiny, handheld spade, and two sizes of shears. It was a good deal on tools for a kid with a few dollars saved up, and you can pull any old tree seedling from a sidewalk crack and stick it in the pot.
I might be overly sensitive here, but the whole idea of a "bonsai seed kit" is one of my strongest hatreds. If you want to grow seeds, buy some seeds. If you want to do bonsai, buy a tree.

But the intentional tying together of seeds and bonsai, while being specifically targeted at people who don't know any better is pure deception. Those people belong in jail. Or hell.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How big is stump? Does hole go clear through bottom:confused:. Difficult question! Willow very soft/rots easy.
whole goes clear through the bottom is their any way to fix this or should I return it?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I might be overly sensitive here, but the whole idea of a "bonsai seed kit" is one of my strongest hatreds. If you want to grow seeds, buy some seeds. If you want to do bonsai, buy a tree.

But the intentional tying together of seeds and bonsai, while being specifically targeted at people who don't know any better is pure deception. Those people belong in jail. Or hell.
Starting from seed does take longer and I feel is a worthwhile endeaver, but their is no such thing as instant bonsai.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A few years ago I bought some seeds from easternleaf and most of my seeds were viable. And yes I have bought seeds off amazon which I never received and have bought elsewhere which were dead. I think making sure you have a viable seed company to buy from or otherwords it is a waste of time and money.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Starting from seed does take longer and I feel is a worthwhile endeaver, but their is no such thing as instant bonsai.
I do tons of seeds every year. So I have nothing against it. It's a great way to get lots of trees for nothing.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Couple options here. You could concave cutter whatever remaining dead material out and apply cut paste inside to any exposed flesh. The more drastic option I've seen is using some quick mix cement or other filler from a hardware store to fill the cavity and potentially allow the tree to roll growth over it in the long run.
Do you think a fungicide would help, since the tree is almost totally hollow I might consider cement or dulhams super hard water puty. I cannot decide if I should send it back or not. I paid almost a hundred dollars for a tree that does not look good the seller was not totally honest on the sale. Do you think it is worth it to try to save or is it beyond saving?

Attachments

• 20220318_184742.jpg
    20220318_184742.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220318_184752.jpg
    20220318_184752.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220318_184811.jpg
    20220318_184811.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 41

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
whole goes clear through the bottom is their any way to fix this or should I return it?

The tree doesn't need the heartwood to live. It's hard to suggest anything without a picture, but there are ways to protect the cambium layer...which is what you want to do to keep the tree alive. The hole might be carve-able into a nice feature.

There are several products that can protect the inside of the hole. I have a silicon based "tree-band-aide" that I use in some situations. It's a liquid spray that seeps into the wood and hardens it to protect it from rotting. Virtually any wood sealer will work: polyeurothane is easy to find at the hardware store.

That said...even if you seal and protect the exposed wood, willow can be finicky in what growth it decides to keep and what it gives up on. It's a colonizer species. It grows fast into optimal conditions and abandons anything less optimal seemingly on a whim. That's it's "competative advantage" as it tries to colonize new areas.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree doesn't need the heartwood to live. It's hard to suggest anything without a picture, but there are ways to protect the cambium layer...which is what you want to do to keep the tree alive. The hole might be carve-able into a nice feature.

There are several products that can protect the inside of the hole. I have a silicon based "tree-band-aide" that I use in some situations. It's a liquid spray that seeps into the wood and hardens it to protect it from rotting. Virtually any wood sealer will work: polyeurothane is easy to find at the hardware store.

That said...even if you seal and protect the exposed wood, willow can be finicky in what growth it decides to keep and what it gives up on. It's a colonizer species. It grows fast into optimal conditions and abandons anything less optimal seemingly on a whim. That's it's "competative advantage" as it tries to colonize new areas.
Yes. If this is a straight up s. Babylonica, the die back is brutal. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Fwiw, curly willows are much better behaved. There can be die back, but it's predictable and thus can be prevented. See my profile pic.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah the willow has 0 heartwood, and yep it is rotted clear through the bottom. I think I should return it. Thanks for the wake-up call. I cannot see the willow living very long. I love willows though. It is a 20 year old stump and is about 9 inches tall I think. Oh and by the way a dog is time consuming especially when I consider that he was much better behaved as a puppy than an old timer. I love him to pieces, but he has lost his sight and hearing since that photo. And he literally cries for my dinner saddest sound. LOL
I can’t stand when people are dishonest about their product. As a tree grower and seller it really gets under my skin. If you want a baby curly willow or weeping willow send me a message. You pay shipping and you can have one or both if you want. 😉 That is an interesting willow though!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think a fungicide would help, since the tree is almost totally hollow I might consider cement or dulhams super hard water puty. I cannot decide if I should send it back or not. I paid almost a hundred dollars for a tree that does not look good the seller was not totally honest on the sale. Do you think it is worth it to try to save or is it beyond saving?

Sorry...I didn't see the pictures before my last post.

I'd guess that all that bark above the highest branch is already dead :( That bark in the front just below the hole is probably dead. If it weren't, there'd likely be buds popping out. Trees do not usually keep live cambium that doesn't lead to foliage. Cambium is a transport system and that would be a sort of road to nowhere.

I can't tell you what to do with your tree. If you can see a way to carve something of interest to you out of the top half of that stump, then yes, there are ways to preserve the deadwood against rotting further...or at least slow it down a lot.

I can say that this is not a tree that I, personally, find interest in...but I'm a pretty poor judge of these things...

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love him to pieces, but he has lost his sight and hearing since that photo. And he literally cries for my dinner saddest sound.
Love while you still can. Days of grieving come all too soon🥰😭.

Top Bottom