Weeping Willow Yamadori

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everyone. Come spring I'm thinking of collecting a weeping willow (Salix babylonica) growing near my house that has a beautiful double trunk. I just wanted to bounce around ideas with you guys on what direction I should take the tree since the trunk gives a lot of options. qvutiXG (2).jpg

As you can see it's quite a substantial trunk... verging on not bonsai size. But I think if I cut back the branches to the base I could get a nice large bonsai. Now my question is whether you guys think I should keep the double trunk style or if I should just keep the trunk on the left? Also, I thought about maybe grafting a branch from the Yatsubusa true dwarf variety to see if I could get smaller leaves. Methinks this would be a challenge given willow's notorious habit of droping branches. But, if I let the branch grow to a substantial size then start pruning the chances of it dying off are a lot lower. Anyways, you guys' imput would be appreciated.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I'd collect it and keep all the trunks, at least until next spring when I have had enough time to draw a few designs and see what lives, where it buds out, and then decide who's on first. That way you can have your cake and eat it, too, act decisively now and procrastinate all winter! ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I'd collect it and keep all the trunks, at least until next spring when I have had enough time to draw a few designs and see what lives, where it buds out, and then decide who's on first. That way you can have your cake and eat it, too, act decisively now and procrastinate all winter! ;)
Makes sense. Now it's a waiting game until spring rolls around.

Top Bottom