Weeping Willow

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
. Five years is not really all that long. Get ten years into it and see if your design doesn't change --drastically.

They do grow fast, thats for sure, but all bonsai change over time. In any case, if this thread is still active in five years I'll let you know.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is a current picture of the tree in post #12 of this thread. A little more ramification, a different pot (you have to repot every year anyway). It is progressing pretty much like any other bonsai.

I wonder how some of the other weeping willows mentioned in this thread are coming along?

willow2-2012.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice tree!

Mine didn't make it. Oh darn :rolleyes:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that's a beautiful looking willow. Makes me want to go collecting willow branches or develop the cuttings that I have.

attachment.php

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you very much Daygan. I wish folks did not have so much trouble with willow and I wish you good luck with your cuttings. By the way, how do you get the picture to post so large?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much Daygan. I wish folks did not have so much trouble with willow and I wish you good luck with your cuttings.

Thanks. I'll post them when they start to become interesting :)

By the way, how do you get the picture to post so large?

right click the picture in your post, select "open link in new tab", tab over to the tab that the link opens in, which will be just the picture, copy the address from the address bar, and paste that address inside the bbc image code in your post, which is
. So the code that you insert in your post will look like this:

PHP:
[img]http://bonsainut.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24142&d=1339187646[/img]

(minus "PHP Code:" and color-coding, of course) and when posted, it will look like my previous post. I hope that's clear :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr. Deci, That willow is great, it really captures the look of a natural large willow tree. I like the way you have kept the foliage minimal enough to allow the strong trunk to be seen while ample enough to pull off the look of a natural tree. What type of willow is this? I have never tried one as Bonsai, but, as a child I took a branch about three feet long that was blown down in a storm and planted it about ten feet from my granny's front porch, fertilized it and watered it. Three years later it was over 30 feet tall and had lifted the foundation of the home and had to be removed and everything repaired. I know full well how fast they can grow and that is why I have never considered one as Bonsai, yet this thread and your plant has got me thinking.

ed

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words and your analysis, edprocoat.

This tree started as a cutting from a neigbor's tree which came down in an ice storm. It was a large tree, I'm guessing 40 or 50 years old. There are lots of cultivars of weeping willow and I have no idea what this one is.

IndoorJenny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
beautiful willow

Now that's a beautiful looking willow. Makes me want to go collecting willow branches or develop the cuttings that I have.

beautiful tree, enviable, I love willows and would love the challenge of growing one indoors, and that would be quite a challenge indeed

IndoorJenny

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
gorgeous

Thank you for your kind words and your analysis, edprocoat.

This tree started as a cutting from a neigbor's tree which came down in an ice storm. It was a large tree, I'm guessing 40 or 50 years old. There are lots of cultivars of weeping willow and I have no idea what this one is.

it's gorgeous!

Bonsai 202

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found the Willow going near a river where I work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 131

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a corkscrew will that's in development. I'll try and post if after work today.

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Posting from my phone, hopefully this works.

Chopped ~4 months ago, just letting it grow. So far all of the branches weep on their own.

image.jpg

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem is they are extremely unstable as bonsai.

Interesting post, providing a scientific understanding for what I've always said was merely "capricious" behavior on their part. But, yes, it doesn't change the fact that they are extremely unstable - it just provides a nice explanation as to why. Nice tree, and - as in all of bonsai - enjoy it while you can.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a current picture of the tree in post #12 of this thread. A little more ramification, a different pot (you have to repot every year anyway). It is progressing pretty much like any other bonsai.

I wonder how some of the other weeping willows mentioned in this thread are coming along?

View attachment 24142
Gene,

I love your willow! I've only seen two other pictures of really nice weeping willow bonsai, and after reading this thread I can see why. Like others mentioned, I too collected some large broken branches after an ice storm a couple years ago and here are the best two:
IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4054.JPG
About a month ago, I went on vacation for a week, and almost all the leaves died. I cut the branches back to where the bark was still green and what you see here is the subsequent growth.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
rockm said: Five years is not really all that long. Get ten years into it and see if your design doesn't change --drastically.

Gene Deci said: They do grow fast, that is for sure, but all bonsai change over time. In any case, if this thread is still active in five years I'll let you know.

So, I'm bumping this five year old thread thread as promised. The picture is from the Michigan All State / ABS show this past weekend where the tree did well.willow (1) 2016.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good Gene! Lots of talk about weeping willows lately. Someone in our club has a decent one, I got some cuttings a few years ago and have 2 in my growing bed (gave a bunch away after they rooted). They are VIGOROUS. I have trunk chopped each, one has already healed the wound, the other needs another season (or maybe part of a season). Unfortunately, I neglected both of them when they were small and the trunks are a little too straight. That's not really a problem, they develop so fast I could always start another one (layer or cutting) and have something that can be potted in a few years. So I'll see how I enjoy working with these once I get them out of the ground. I may wind up hating them for all the reasons that have been given, but I want to see for myself.

There have been one or two very nice specimens that have come through the National Exhibitions, those have served as motivation.

Chris

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I may wind up hating them for all the reasons that have been given, but I want to see for myself.

Just keep them wet ;) I have one, not a weeping Sunshine variety right now to work on in a season or two. I raise them the same as Bald cypress and others I have had were always vigorous that way. The water disappears from the trays so fast you never see bugs in it :eek:

Grimmy

Top Bottom