weeping yoshino cherry ?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi guys a local store has some of these mixed in with some fruit trees,for a very low price,ive checked and the trees are alive and dormant,was wondering if they weep in bonsai culture??are they decent for bonsai regardless?I'm thinking i could layer a few trees and let the mother tree grow in my yard.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the price is right and there's some potential I'd say go for it. All the Japanese cherry tree's have the potential for Bonsai. You could grow this tree into a weeping style if desired. Here's a picture of a cherry bonsai grown weeping style on the cover of a Japanese magazine

KOJO NO MAI.JPG

Kitsune

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The main issue (as I see it) is that many weeping cherries sold for the landscape are grafted at the top. It keeps them smaller (grafted 'pendula' for instance will get around 10-15' tall instead of 20-25' tall) and a lot of homeowners want that. Cherry can definatly be grown in weeping styles as bonsai, but if you trunk chop a piece of grafted stock, there is no promise of what type of prunus you've got on the bottom. Frequently the bottom is an upright grower with no natural weep to the branches because growing out a straight trunk in those species is much easier.

So I would check the upper part of the tree, where the weeping branches start, for a graft site, if you want to be certain your root and trunk stock are actually weeping yoshino. If they aren't grafted, and you find a nice one? Enjoy!

-Heather

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We have been having really nice weather for march,so i decided to unwrap the cherry,it already has buds starting to burst,anyway i was shocked to find no graft,the trees have a one inch trunk no real taper and about six feet tall with almost no branches,but no graft!this one is going into my front lawn,im going back to buy another that has nice lower movement in the trunk which i will eventually use for bonsai hopefully,im excited the trees are 13.99

Top Bottom