Weird Clump Bittersweet Yamadori

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is this yamadori and what should I look out for in the future ?

I think it's has good movement from the base.

The only thing perfectly wrong, which is good cuz it makes it easy to explain, is your trunk heights according to thickness are backwards.

You want the skinniest shortest, and the fattest tallest. This isn't a rule that is easily broken, until you have more than 7 trunks.

The problem you will encounter if you don't flip it soon, is your possible budding area is backwards as well, so the skinny one will grow faster, and the thick one slow, so soon, you will have 3 trunk of all the same size, and lose that favored added dimension to the composition.

The roots won't mind light, but that container will fall apart by the end of May, so I'd duct tape it too!

Or maybe better, get that things rear closer to the center of a more appropriate container so you can continue to enhance the base, and this necessary left roots, that, long, and thick, will give the real impression they've been holding that lean.

Chizeers!

Sorce

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks so much and I like your sketches . I definitely need to collect all spring so I have more trees that will turn out good . Also when will this start budding ? Just curious
If the collection was successful within a few weeks. The paste on the stubs will help avoid die back. Foliage might be weak at first and it is important to protect that foliage as it will be the way the tree regains the ability to produce food and regrow the roots. Once it has gained enough foliage the tree will begin to grow quickly again.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Common names lead to much confusion. Your "bittersweet" is Celastrus, either Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet) or Celastrus scandens (American Bittersweet). If the inner bark of the roots was bright orange, you definitely have Celastrus. Bittersweet as a common name can refer to at least 5 completely unrelated plants. In the EU bittersweet most often means a species of Solanum. Celastrus is easier to work with than Solanum because it makes true wood, where Solanum wood is the brittle after the first year because it is more a perennial herb than a true tree or vine. Cleastrus is a woody vine that is winter hardy into USDA zone 4.

So orange inner bark on the roots = Celastrus.

Top Bottom