Weird growth on landscape spruce

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I drive by this tree in my neighborhood every day, and only recently noticed the strange growth on the top of it. Would this be considered a witches broom? I know the pic isn't great, but the growth is so rounded and compact and full of cones compared to the rest of the more typical spruce growth habit.20171009_170114.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, thats crazy. Just read it can be caused too by a bacterial paracites (Phytoplasmas). Wacky stuff, that's a new one.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I drive past an eastern white pine sometime and the top of it is similar to your spruce. It's like a perfect sphere of foliage

Zaratrusta

Sapling
Reaction score
I never seen/heard about something like this. Wow.....

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
yeah i bet at some point the apex was affected with something and then affected all the top growth from there on.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, this is a good example of a witch's broom.
It can be caused by an infection (sometimes a virus) or by a genetic mutation.
Mistletoe can also lead to a similar phenomenon.
Many of the "dwarf" varieties of conifers found in nurseries started out as a broom and were collected and grafted onto a healthy under-stock.
Of course the genetic mutations are the desirable ones. The infectious ones don't propagate well.
If you start looking, brooms are not that uncommon in western conifers.
See the American Conifer Society's website for more examples.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, it looks like a giant apical witch's broom!

Most of the interesting conifer cultivars/variants come from chance witch's broom discoveries in the wild.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
This happens in reverse too, particularly on the ubiquitous dwarf Alberta spruce, where the mutation that presumably made the original witches broom reverts to normal growth on a tree making what seems a relatively huge, but is actually a normal sized branch. I have a Japanese maple 'Butterfly' in my yard this has happened with, although I'm not sure if that cultivar originated as a somatic mutation like this. I've allowed the reversion to grow since the form is similar to the original it's just the leaves that have lost their variegation, and have a half-n-half tree.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can drive down the road and find these in lots of places here.
I have 2 Scots pines that try to grow them. I cut them off.

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
I can drive down the road and find these in lots of places here.
I have 2 Scots pines that try to grow them. I cut them off.
Interesting Mike. Have you seen these occurring lower down on any SP trees (natural or bonsai)? I think I may have seen one recently, it was not apical, but in the crown nonetheless.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting Mike. Have you seen these occurring lower down on any SP trees (natural or bonsai)? I think I may have seen one recently, it was not apical, but in the crown nonetheless.
Yes. There's a red pine with one on a limb about 25 miles from here.

Top Bottom