Weird growth on my Barbados Cherry?

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I have noticed a few strange things growing on my tree here. I was wondering if anyone could Identify them and tell me if they're potentially harmful.
20180212_151104.jpg20180320_152747.jpg20180320_152824.jpg20180320_152836.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have one like yours (Acerola, malpighia glabra), but never had this "things" growing on it.
IF it helps, some common pests and diseases that can occur in Malphigias:

"One of the major obstacles to successful cultivation of the Barbados cherry is the tree's susceptibility to the root-knot nematode, Meloidogyne incognita var. acrita, especially in sandy acid soils. Soil fumigation, mulching and regular irrigation will help to keep this problem under control. The burrowing nematode, Radopholus similis, is also a cause of decline in otherwise healthy trees.
In Florida, the foliage is attacked by wax scale, Florida mango scale, and other scale insects, whiteflies, a leaf roller, and aphids. In Guatemala, the aphid, Aphis spiraecola, attacks the leaves and young, tender branches. This pest and the Hesperid caterpillar, Ephyriades arcas, require chemical control. In Puerto Rico, the tree is often damaged by the blue chrysomelid of acerola, Leucocera laevicollis. Some fruits may be malformed but not otherwise affected by the sting of stinkbugs. None of these predators is of any great importance.
The major pest in Florida is the Caribbean fruit fly, Anastrepha suspensa, which seems to attack all but very sour fruits and the larvae are commonly found inside. In Guatemala, a fruit worm, Anthonomus florus, deposits its eggs in the floral ovary and also in the fruits; the larvae feed in the fruits causing deformity and total ruin. Drastic control measures have been employed against this predator, including the incineration of all fallen, infested fruits and the elimination of all related species that serve as hosts.
Few diseases have been reported. However, in Florida, there are cases of anthracnose caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, and leafspotting by the fungus, Cercospora bunchosiae, is a serious malady in Florida, Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Green scurf, identified with the alga, Cephaleuros virescens, occurs in Puerto Rico."

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I appreciate the post, however it seems like none of those closely resemble what I have going on. I should mention that it sits very closely to another BC of mine, but nothing has spread to the other one over the past few months. I removed some of the white things. They don't appear to be animals of any sort. They snapped off quite easily leaving next to no wound underneath. They kind of have a texture of an under-cooked bean?? if that makes any sense.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well Clicio that is a Malphighia punicifolia [ old name ]

Are those roots ? The white growths ?

Good Day
Anthony
__________________________________________________________________________________

Here is an image of the West Indian [ Barbados Cherry ] cherry , now called
Malpighia e [ was M. glabra ]

Shrub, Sub-Tropical to 5.5 m tall

west indian cherry 1 IBC.jpg

With fruit , seldom ever gets a disease and this fruit is sweet.
Full of vit.c - 1/4 lb [ 113 gms ] has enough for a person for 1 month.

west indian cherry 2 IBC.jpg

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I'm with Clicio, those look like nematodes.

Try using minor insecticide and if that doesn't work graduate to stronger stuff.

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
Well Clicio that is a Malphighia punicifolia [ old name ]

Are those roots ? The white growths ?

Good Day
Anthony
Can roots just randomly grow on branches?

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm with Clicio, those look like nematodes.

Try using minor insecticide and if that doesn't work graduate to stronger stuff.
When I read about nematodes, it seems they only attack roots. It doesn't make sense to me that when I reveal my roots system that they appear to be very healthy.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Do they squish in your hand? Do they move when you pluck one? Pictures ask a thousand questions but your fingers will tell you a lot more senses!

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
Do they squish in your hand? Do they move when you pluck one? Pictures ask a thousand questions but your fingers will tell you a lot more senses!
They're quite firm and don't move at all. When I squeeze them, it feels more like a little pop as opposed to being squishy.

Reaction score
Mashu - what was the result of this? I have noticed the same type of growth on my Barbados Cherry and wanted to see if you had an update on what you found out.

Top Bottom